Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen but the light indicates that the tv is on

Jump to solution

My tv was on this morning (Roku 32 sharp smart tv) as I was watching youtube. Then in the middle of the video it turns to a complete black screen, with the power light still on. I thought that turning it off and on again would solve the issue but it unfortunately hasn't. The power light is on, and I've tried different plugs, and still no luck. I am unsure what to do, can anyone offer up some advice or am I going to have to get a new tv?
Thank you for any help in advanced.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Black screen but the light indicates that the tv is on

Jump to solution

LCD TVs have a backlight that provides the illumination to see the image. This light is usually either from LEDs or fluorescent lamps. Unfortunately, these lamps can fail, although LEDs are far less likely to fail. Depending on the age of your TV, the fluorescent backlight may have failed. If it has, you might be able to faintly see the image on the screen if you look closely. If you can see the image, then it's almost a certainty the backlight failed. 

Honestly, for a TV with your screen size, it's probably going to be less expensive to simply replace the TV instead of getting the backlight repaired. Fluorescent lamps aren't expensive, but the total repair shop charge will likely exceed the value of the TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

LCD TVs have a backlight that provides the illumination to see the image. This light is usually either from LEDs or fluorescent lamps. Unfortunately, these lamps can fail, although LEDs are far less likely to fail. Depending on the age of your TV, the fluorescent backlight may have failed. If it has, you might be able to faintly see the image on the screen if you look closely. If you can see the image, then it's almost a certainty the backlight failed. 

Honestly, for a TV with your screen size, it's probably going to be less expensive to simply replace the TV instead of getting the backlight repaired. Fluorescent lamps aren't expensive, but the total repair shop charge will likely exceed the value of the TV. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just wanted to throw out that my TV uses the opposite logic in the power light.  The LED is on, when the TV is off (I guess that lets you know it’s plugged in and ready to run) but the LED is OFF when the TV is on (I suppose to not be a distraction from the video). 

While you probably know your TV, I did search up this manual and it says that a Sharp Roku TV behaves like mine.  From the manual: “Power indicator Turns off when your TV is on. Lights when your TV is off (standby mode).”

So... just making sure...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you for the help and suggestion, I really appreciate it.

0 Kudos