Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rusm
Reel Rookie

Android remote app timeout disconnect

Jump to solution

The app times out and disconnects from device when I use other phone apps while I'm streaming on the device (I am using the remote app specifically to access private listening mode through the phone). Is their a setting to make the streaming persist (perhaps in the background) when using other apps?

Also, when the phone charging, the app stays active (ie doesn't disconnect) longer than when it is not charging. I would like to keep it active persistently when not charging. Any advice?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Android remote app timeout disconnect

Jump to solution

Welcome, @Rusm.

We're thrilled to have you join us in the Roku Community!

We understand that you value uninterrupted streaming while multitasking on your phone with other applications, and we are committed to addressing this issue to enhance your experience. While streaming or using the Headphone Mode on the Roku Mobile app, it's important for users to remain within the app to ensure uninterrupted streaming and private listening. Exiting the app can disrupt the intended functionality of private listening.

In order to keep the app active, you can modify the sleep timer settings on your phone to prevent it from entering sleep mode while you're using the Roku Mobile App. 

For more detailed information, see this support article: How to install the Roku mobile app.

I hope you will find the information provided to be helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Rusm,

We appreciate you for the update!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; we value your feedback as our valued customer. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services.

We'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review. Once again, thank you so much for your feedback. We value your input.

Also, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We'd be happy to investigate this further, but we need more details.

For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the issue:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Are you using an Android or iOS mobile device?
  • Was there a software update?
  • Does the disconnection occur on your mobile device when the screen is locked, or your phone goes on standby?
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • Are your phone/tablet and Roku streaming devices connected to the same network?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried looking into your phone's power management or security settings to turn off any feature that may interrupt the app's ability to communicate when the screen is turned off, etc.?

In addition, there are some cases where the background data saver settings close the app. We recommend visiting your settings, searching for background data usage, and adding Roku to the "never sleeping apps" list.

For more information, visit our Support resources and follow the steps to help resolve the private listening issue: How to resolve an issue with private listening.

Please keep us posted about the behavior you are experiencing. We will be more than happy to continue assisting you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, @Rusm.

We're thrilled to have you join us in the Roku Community!

We understand that you value uninterrupted streaming while multitasking on your phone with other applications, and we are committed to addressing this issue to enhance your experience. While streaming or using the Headphone Mode on the Roku Mobile app, it's important for users to remain within the app to ensure uninterrupted streaming and private listening. Exiting the app can disrupt the intended functionality of private listening.

In order to keep the app active, you can modify the sleep timer settings on your phone to prevent it from entering sleep mode while you're using the Roku Mobile App. 

For more detailed information, see this support article: How to install the Roku mobile app.

I hope you will find the information provided to be helpful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rusm
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't find that helpful at all. That is not a solution. It makes the app worthless for me.

I suggest to change the app to allow it to run in the background at the user's option. That option seems to exist for other apps...just not ROKU.

Can ROKU fix this, or must I find a different streaming hardware vendor? This is 2024 for goodness sake. There MUST be a solution.

When the app disconnects, sound starts playing over the TV...which disturbs the people I'm trying to not disturb (like sleeping people). Totally makes the app worthless for me. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Rusm,

We appreciate you for the update!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts; we value your feedback as our valued customer. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services.

We'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review. Once again, thank you so much for your feedback. We value your input.

Also, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We'd be happy to investigate this further, but we need more details.

For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the issue:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Are you using an Android or iOS mobile device?
  • Was there a software update?
  • Does the disconnection occur on your mobile device when the screen is locked, or your phone goes on standby?
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • Are your phone/tablet and Roku streaming devices connected to the same network?

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried looking into your phone's power management or security settings to turn off any feature that may interrupt the app's ability to communicate when the screen is turned off, etc.?

In addition, there are some cases where the background data saver settings close the app. We recommend visiting your settings, searching for background data usage, and adding Roku to the "never sleeping apps" list.

For more information, visit our Support resources and follow the steps to help resolve the private listening issue: How to resolve an issue with private listening.

Please keep us posted about the behavior you are experiencing. We will be more than happy to continue assisting you, and we look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.