Roku Direct Publisher

Roku Direct Publisher - the easiest way to create a great TV experience. Learn more about how to create a Roku channel and share your experiences with others.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uctv
Reel Rookie

Can Not Add a Custom Category to the Categorys Section

I can not add a custom category to my channel. This is the only section I left to complete. Every time I drop down the add category there is nothing there to add and when I go to save I keep getting an error. I have logged out, logged back in and for the life keep getting the same error. I have to have one custom category to finish this channel but the system wont let me. When I click the black add category nothing happens. My tag shoes up under the select section but that just throws up an error as well.Error 1.jpgError 2.jpg

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Re: Can Not Add a Custom Category to the Categorys Section

If you're using a Json feed, I'd suggest you define the categories within the file itself. Doing so will provide more control over your content.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

Also, you can only have 15 categories, and New Releases & Most Popular count if selected, bringing it down to 13.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

Actually, according to the Roku Partner Success site, the number of categories (rows) is actually 25.  That question was asked:

Is there a limit on how many categories/rows or videos I can have in a Direct Publisher channel?

The answer given was:

There is a limit of:

• 25 categories (rows)
  • 40 items per category (row)

Keep in mind, '40 items' does not mean 40 videos since an item can be a Series.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
uctv
Reel Rookie

I finally did figure out where to add the category. Its actually at the top of the menu. Roku needs to make the add category a drop down menu where it says add category instead of somewhere else on the screen. Any how problem solved.

0 Kudos
rfm1963
Binge Watcher

What do you mean top of the menu. I have the same issue.

@uctv wrote:

I finally did figure out where to add the category. Its actually at the top of the menu. Roku needs to make the add category a drop down menu where it says add category instead of somewhere else on the screen. Any how problem solved.

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@uctv  All the more reason to define the categories in your feed file.

0 Kudos
rfm1963
Binge Watcher

Do you have a example of that code section. Thanks

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@rfm1963  Please refer to Roku Json Specifications.

0 Kudos