Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bellamichelle
Channel Surfer

questions about the voice remote RC-GZ1 and also about pairing with an older player

Hello, I just bought a Roku Voice Remote RC-GZ1 from Target,  I have an older player the 2500x HD.

I am not able to pair them and there are two questions regarding this problem.

1)  Is the 2500x HD to old to pair with this 2022 remote?  I did a lot of googling on this before I ordered the voice remote and everything I found said it would work with most players.  I could not find any kind of list indicating which players would and would not work with it.  Is there such a list?

2)  The RC-GZ1 does not have a pairing button, not on the remote or in the battery compartment.  And almost every link for how to pair them says to press the pairing button, which is very frustrating.  Is the model possibly the first version or the voice remote and the newer models all have a pairing button?  I look for info on the various model numbers for the voice remote (not the voice remote pro, just the voice remote) and nothing comes up.  I saw a different model number on the roku page, the RCA1R but the pictures on the product page do not show or reference a pairing button.

I did find info about pairing a remote without a pairing button and it has you hold the home button for 5 sections and then the setting window will open and you click on devices and remotes.  I only see devices and it doesn't include info for pairing the remote.

I am beginning to wonder if I need to buy an newer player and not lose my mind trying to figure out if it will or will not pair due to age.  

Any suggestions, knowledge, help?

Thank you,

Michelle

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: questions about the voice remote RC-GZ1 and also about pairing with an older player

I have never heard of that model number of Roku remote. If it doesn't have pairing button it is simply an IR remote, and should just work with any Roku that accepts IR commands meaning no sticks. 

As for the Roku 2500, sorry but it is too old for current Roku voice remotes, which are wifi-direct. The Roku 2500 only responded to IR and Bluetooth Roku remotes. Your aftermarket universal remote should work, after enter the Roku code. Can you link to the remote you have? Post a picture? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bellamichelle
Channel Surfer

Re: questions about the voice remote RC-GZ1 and also about pairing with an older player

Thank you for taking the time to respond Tivoburkee.  I took some photos of the remote, box etc to see if it will help you help me.  Something interesting.. the remote model number on the box is different than the model number in the battery compartment.  

image5.jpegimage4.jpegimage3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage6.jpeg

Let me know what you think.

Michelle

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Thank you for the pictures. Yes, that is a voice remote without a pairing button?? I have not seen or used one before. But even if it had a pairing button it won't work with Roku 2500, sorry. Wifi-direct is form of RF remote, the only RF remote the 2500 used was Bluetooth. Not compatible with Wifi-direct remotes like your RC-GZ1. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bellamichelle
Channel Surfer

I guessed that the player might be the issue.  I’m comparing some of the newer players, the

Roku Express 4k

Roku Streaming Stick 4k

one is supposed to have better security and longer wireless support   

Any recommendations? Or a good article to help choose?

0 Kudos
makaiguy

For those finding this thread when searching for information regarding Roku Voice Remote model RC-GZ1:

Some recent Roku Voice Remotes do not have a pairing button in the battery compartment. The first such remote is model RC-GZ1. This comes with installed batteries and a pull tab you must remove to engage them..

To put these remotes into pairing mode, after pulling the battery tab, press and hold both the BACK and HOME buttons near the top of the remote for 5 seconds or more.
a.jpg
Reference: https://support.roku.com/article/360011621473

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Best answer ever.  To start the pairing process HOLD Home + Back buttons for 5 Seconds.

Nowhere in the box the or instructions does it give this important info

0 Kudos