Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish Roku had the option of programabale buttons on the remote!

Jump to solution

IDK about anyone else but I wish Roku had an option for being able to program the buttons on the remote to my choices and not a bunch I have NEVER used. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ sure but I have never used Sling and NEVER will! I found the commercials for sling offensive and nasty, to say the least, and they were stupid. I have never used most of the buttons on the different remotes and wish Roku had the option to program what I actually use and not stuff I will never use. I wanted to make the suggestion to the company but could not find anywhere on the site to make suggestions. So Roku how about making a remote I can choose which channels I can program my remote for not a bunch of **bleep** I will not use and find offensive? I know not everyone feels the same and might dislike what I like. Well to each his own. Give me a programmable remote option PLEASE!!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wish Roku had the option of programabale buttons on the remote!

Jump to solution

Roku does offer one remote with two programmable buttons. Those other buttons are still there, since as mentioned that is a revenue stream for them and they are contractually required to not permit them to be reprogrammed. But the new Voice Remote Pro has two buttons you can program yourself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Those preprogrammed buttons are so annoying I agree, most I will never use. It would be much better if you could have programmable buttons instead that you could assign to open the channels you want of course, that's a no brainer.

Unfortunately that will never happen, Roku gets revenue from the companies that pay to put their logos on those buttons which send you to their channels. So it's a case of Roku doing something for themselves to make more money rather than doing something that is better for the customer.

Roku doesn't care what's more convenient or useful for us, they just want the extra cash that selling those buttons gives them.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Roku does offer one remote with two programmable buttons. Those other buttons are still there, since as mentioned that is a revenue stream for them and they are contractually required to not permit them to be reprogrammed. But the new Voice Remote Pro has two buttons you can program yourself. 

Dan

0 Kudos
KMeltonLakeMead
Channel Surfer

Re: Wish Roku had the option of programmable buttons on the remote!

Jump to solution

I just recently bought a new remote from Walmart with the 4 shortcut buttons are present with no labels but they did not include instructions to program them.  Does anyone know how to program them?

ROKUProgrammalbl2e.png

ROKUProgrammalble.png

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@KMeltonLakeMead there is no known way to program those buttons. If they are truly blank, meaning nothing happens when you press them, at least you won't inadvertently trigger an unwanted channel. 

Dan

renojim

Jump to solution

@KMeltonLakeMead, is that a picture of the actual remote or a picture of the box?  Sometimes the picture on the box won't show what you'll get on those buttons since you never know until you open it.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos