Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bonnier
Reel Rookie

Volume control doesn’t work Roku 3

Jump to solution

I have a Roku 3 with my TCL android TV   Problem is I can’t control the volume with the Roku remote.  How do I get my Roku remote to control the volume?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Volume control doesn’t work Roku 3

Jump to solution

@Bonnier 

If this is an original Roku 3 remote it doesn't have TV IR on board, it can only programmed for hdmi cec. So you tv and Roku 3 have to recognize each other as a cec device. This Roku remote feature didnt  work with many tv brands when it was released, er the Roku 3 was updated with this feature. Originally the volume keys on the Roku 3 only controlled the headphone volume, but was updated to control certain tv brand's volume by cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Bonnier,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about your Roku device not controlling the volume of your TV. We are pleased to assist you.

• Have you paired the remote successfully before?
  • Is this the first time you have experienced this issue? When did the problem start?
  • Can you control the power, or is the volume not controlling your TV?

When setting up your Roku remote, it will try to find the correct remote code for your specific TV brand. If the code programmed into your remote only allows you to control either the power or volume, try using a different code for your TV brand, which might work to control both power and volume.

To have your Roku device try additional remote codes, restart the TV controls setup process for your voice remote and alter the steps as follows:

1. When you first hear the music stop and are asked“Did the music stop playing?” Do not answer. Instead, turn the volume back up with your TV remote until the music is audible again.
  2. Now, answer the question with No, and your Roku device will move on to try the following remote code.
  3. The next time you hear the music stop, answer the question with Yes and your voice remote will be programmed with the new code.
  4. In rare cases, you may need to repeat this process, answering No to multiple codes before finding a code that controls power and volume.

Please keep us posted on what you find out. We will be happy to continue assisting you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Bonnier 

If this is an original Roku 3 remote it doesn't have TV IR on board, it can only programmed for hdmi cec. So you tv and Roku 3 have to recognize each other as a cec device. This Roku remote feature didnt  work with many tv brands when it was released, er the Roku 3 was updated with this feature. Originally the volume keys on the Roku 3 only controlled the headphone volume, but was updated to control certain tv brand's volume by cec. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Bonnier
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, I will try that.   

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.