Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weave

Volume button changes tv input

My Roku remote is functioning, however the volume up button is raising volume but also changing tv input. I have to use the tv remote to change input back to the appropriate hdmi port every time I hit the volume up button on the Roku remote.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Volume button changes tv input

Hi @Weave,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing with your Roku remote.

Have you tried going to settings and try to check these:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select remotes & devices.
  4. Select Remote.
  5. Choose your Roku remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.

After you choose your Roku remote on that settings, you can system restart your Roku device:

3. Select System.
  4. Select Power (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  5. Select System restart.

For further references, you can visit our support page: Set up TV controls.

Hope it can help! For any clarifications, just keep us posted.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dnguyen

I am also having this issue on my sharp TV, the volume up button the Roku remote changes the input on the tv as well as turns the volume up, and the volume down button will change the aspect ratio of the tv as well and turn the volume down. I just purchased the device last night and already had this issue as soon as I set the remote up for tv control.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I would go back and pick a different IR code.  ie: lie to it and tell it that the first code that seems to work (presumably the one you have now) doesn't work.  That will cause it to try another code.  This may have to be done just once, or several times to get to a code that works perfectly.  Unfortunately, for some TVs, there can be a dozen codes that work to overlapping degrees. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
weaverg
Reel Rookie

This did not fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @weaverg,

Welcome, and thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'll be delighted to assist you with fixing your issue. Please provide us with the following details so we can assist you further:

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • What type of remote are you using right now? (universal, simple, or voice remote)
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
weaverg
Reel Rookie

@RokuEuniceL ,

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV) 

Roku Express

• What type of remote are you using right now? (universal, simple, or voice remote)

Voice Remote

• What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

I have went through every code for my tv. Restarted my Roku device multiple times and unlinked/relinked my remote to my tv multiple times and it didn’t fix it. Only one code works for my television.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @weaverg,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

You're doing a great job troubleshooting the problem, and we appreciate you giving us this information. No worries! We will be delighted to help you further. Please try to factory reset the Roku device. A factory reset clears the majority of data from your Roku device and restores it to a factory default configuration. Please follow the steps below:

3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced system settings.
  5. Select Factory reset.
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the problem still persists, please keep us posted.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
weaverg
Reel Rookie

@RokuJohnB ,

That did not fix the issue. It still is doing what I expressed earlier and I just got a new remote today. Also now my mute button changes my tvs aspect ratio. 

thanks,

George

0 Kudos
weaverg
Reel Rookie

@RokuJohnB ,

I have fixed this issue. I guess by resetting the Roku back to factory it gave it the ability to find the right tv code that will allow my remote to work correctly. 

Thanks, 

George

0 Kudos