Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bassic
Reel Rookie

Voice remote pro not holding charge

I have been enjoying my Voice Remote Pro (RC538) since I was invited to purchase it via the Early Access Program back in Feb 2021. The remote has worked flawlessly since then, but recently it will not charge above 13% and as soon as I unplug it from the charger, the charge level begins dropping rapidly (for example, falling to 8% within a minute).

I've tried different combinations of 4 different USB wall adapters and 4 different USB cords (including the one that came with the remote) at different outlets throughout the house, but even though I see the "Remote Charging" indicator on-screen and the slowly blinking green light on the back, it never charges above 13% (even when left plugged in for several days straight). I also tried to re-start the remote and re-pair it with my Roku TV (based on suggestions I saw in these forums from Roku from support staff) - that works and the remote functions as normal, but the rechargeable battery drains really quickly and won't ever charge above 13%. 

I bought this thinking it would be a greener solution than a typical remote, but if the crummy battery they shipped it with can't last more than two years (and I'd now have to replace the entire thing rather than just swap in new batteries) that sort of blows up the whole idea. 

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice remote pro not holding charge

Hi @bassic,

Thanks for letting us know about your Roku Voice Remote Pro not charging. We certainly want to help you regarding this, and we'll need information. Kindly provide the following details.

• How long are you charging your Roku remote?
  • Has it reached above 13%?
  • Were you using the cord that came with the Roku remote for charging?
  • When did this issue start to occur?

Once we have the information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bassic
Reel Rookie

Hi @RokuTakashi - thanks for your reply I addressed all of your questions in my original post, but here is the info once again:

• How long are you charging your Roku remote?
    • I've left it plugged in for up to 48 hours
  • Has it reached above 13%?
    • Since this issue began it will not charge above 13%, regardless of how long I leave it plugged in.
  • Were you using the cord that came with the Roku remote for charging?
    • I've used the original cord and also attempted charging with 3 other cords and with various outlets around my home. None have resolved the issue.
  • When did this issue start to occur?
    • this began about a week ago.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bassic,

We appreciate the follow-up information!

The Roku remote might be on its way out since it has been in good use for years. It might be a better option to replace the remote, and you can check at this link: Roku Remote and Accessories

Thanks,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bassic
Reel Rookie

kind of disappointing that the official stance from Roku is essentially "tough luck - don't expect our products to last more than 2 years"

OK then. Guess it's time to fid a new platform/company to support.

bassic
Reel Rookie

Just a quick update for anyone else who may be following this thread

Since my remote was useless anyhow I decided to pop the back cover off and take a look inside...

While in there I disconnected the little cable that connects the battery pack to the circuit board. Reconnected it a few mins later and all of a sudden my (seemingly busted) remote that refused to charge above 13% works perfectly - now able to fully charge and seems to be good as new.

Very strange. I can't definitively explain why this resolved the issue but wanted to pass it along anyhow - worth a shot for everyone else having issues!

ALD
Reel Rookie

Holy cr*p!  This works. Thx

Dear Roku, you have an issue with these remotes

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users,

We will be locking this thread because of its outdated status. If you are still having issues related to this thread, please look through the Community for another thread that addresses the same problem. If there aren't any existing threads, you are more than welcome to create a new one.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.