Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Strong electronic odor from remote

Hi @bydand10

Thanks for following up. 

We apologize for the inconvenience you have been experiencing with your Roku remote. The health and safety of our customers are of the utmost importance to us, and we take any concerns about potentially harmful chemicals seriously. Please send us your contact information and the serial number of your device, so we can forward your case to our support team for further assistance. Its serial number or device ID is printed on the bottom or back of the product.

We'll keep an eye on your reply. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
DJ1111
Channel Surfer

I have 2 of these remotes, one directly from Roku, and one from Amazon, and they smell so bad they are not even usable.

I have the same issue as others with trying to wash it off my hands. The Oder is very difficult to get off.

They sit in a closet in sealed packaging, the smell makes me ill.

I would love for some executives at Roku to try these and experience what their customers are experiencing.

I guarantee they would not find it acceptable.

0 Kudos
sigurdsm

I too have this remote odor problem with my newly purchased Roku Ultra.  I've only recharged the remote once. It has not been overcharged.  From what I've read, I am concerned.... is this caused from the battery leaking?  Is there a replacement battery?  It's a horrible smell. I hate to pick up the remote.

Roku serial number S0DA229N4PW9

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @sigurdsm

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

We're sorry to hear about your experience. Our support team is now aware of your issue and will be reaching out to you through email.  Please be ready to receive their correspondence and continue assisting you from there.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work toward a resolution.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
DJ1111
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuNimfa-C 

Can someone reach out to me as well? I have 2 of these remotes that sit unused because the smell is so strong...

If you have rectified this issue, I would love if the money I spent on these Roku products could actually return some value to me. As of now they're unusable.

0 Kudos
sigurdsm

Thank you for the reply.  I also reached out to customer support via chat, as I was not sure if the blog and customer support were tied together.  I provided my mailing details to Yunuz in Customer support.

0 Kudos
DJ1111
Channel Surfer

@RokuNimfa-C 

Please have someone contact me about replacing 2 Voice Remote Pros.

I'm not seeing a serial number on either remote - please let me know where they're located. I also have the original boxes, which the remotes reside in.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @DJ1111

Thanks for letting us know. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We're here to help. Can you please provide the serial numbers of your Roku device paired to your Roku remotes from Settings > System > About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.
We'll keep an eye on your response. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@sigurdsm

Thanks for the information. Great news! We can confirm that they are now working on your request.  

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
DJ1111
Channel Surfer

@RokuNimfa-C 

Sure - I have 7 TVs in my home either with roku built in or using Roku sticks.

Here’s one of the TVs SNs.

5S467K095732

As mentioned I’m not able to use either of the 2 remotes with oder problems.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.