Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrDez

Second Simple Remote to die in less than a year

This is the 2nd remote in less than a year to have issues. What do I do? Is there anyway to get it to pair again being that it's a simple Remote? I'm frustrated that I have to constantly use my phone at a remote because these things don't work or die right away. Any suggestions or helpful responses would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2nd Simple Remote to die in less than a year

@DrDez-

If it's really a Simple Remote (for today's remotes, that's one without a microphone, or buttons to control the tv volume, power, and mute functions), there is no pairing to the Roku it is to control -- it will work with ALL Roku streaming devices right out of the box.  (Note: it will not work with a Roku Streaming Stick model which requires a WiFi Voice Remote, nor with a Roku TV which uses a different set of IR commands.) 

It controls by the same set of infrared (IR) controls as all IR Roku remotes do.   Just point it at the front of the Roku receiver.

Be sure it has good batteries installed, and that they are oriented in the direction shown by the diagram in the battery compartment.

If you have a digital camera (one in a cell phone will do), point the remote at the camera and observe the end of the remote in the camera view screen while pressing some buttons on the remote.  If it is indeed sending signals, on the camera screen you should see a glow on the end of the remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 2nd Simple Remote to die in less than a year

Just replace the remote with an aftermarket universal remote, benefit of it will control the tv volume, unlike your simple Roku remote. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos