Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fall
Reel Rookie

Roku remote sticking buttons

How many thousands of people have to complain about the sticking remote buttons all of a sudden until roku will create a fix in an update. This is ridiculous. FIX YOUR MESSED UP REMOTE CONNECTIONS!! None of the temp fixes work. It is extremely frustrating to deal with this when you are just trying to relax after a hard day's work. FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT!!!!

12 REPLIES 12
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku remote sticking buttons

Hi @Fall,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We would like to know more about how we can help. Could you please tell us more about the issue you're referring to? Also, could you provide us with an image of the sticking remote buttons to understand the issue better?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Fall
Reel Rookie

The issue is the same as so many have complained about. You push a navigation button once and it moves all the way through to the end. Volume just stops working for a couple of minutes. You have to wait and then try again. Volume button pushed once continues to increase volume many increments. Pause pushed once pauses and plays pauses and plays. You have to get lucky pushing pause several times to finally get the program paused properly

Fall
Reel Rookie

View the trending topics about Remote erratically skips or jumps over multiple content in some platforms and many more related topics

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Fall,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We appreciate you for providing the information. You can restart your Roku device to resolve the issue. To do this, navigate to Settings > System> System Restart. After this, kindly check to see if it resolves the issue.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Fall
Reel Rookie

I've done that on 2 different tvs as well as the following:  I've unplugged everything for 15 min and plugged back in. I've removed the batteries and tried reconnecting the remote.  I've tried covering the front of the remote after pressing the button. I've checked for updates. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Fall,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
madmax2069
Binge Watcher

Yeah, I can no longer trust my Roku ultra remote to adjust the volume as it can continue to turn up or turn down the volume after I already stopped pressing the volume button. 

Now I'm stuck with having to use two remotes to operate the Roku box (one to control the Roku, and one to control the volume of the TV). 

And why doesn't the Roku boxes fully support HDMI CEC to be able to use the TV remote to control the Roku box (this would be a great option for those of us running into all these Roku remote issues) instead of having to buy yet another Roku remote only to run into the same issue yet again. I'm done with Roku remotes due to all the issues with them, I'm fed up with it, just let me use my TVs remote over HDMI CEC to control the Roku box like I can with my Amazon fire stick, Apple TV 4K, my Blu-ray player. 

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @madmax2069,

A warm welcome here at the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching us here regarding your remote issues. No worries. We're committed to finding the best resolution for this. 

Could you please provide us with the details sent by @RokuJohnB above? So that we may be able to forward your concern regarding the remote skipping tiles or pressing all the way with just one press to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. Rest assured that we'll be doing our best to resolve this issue as soon as possible as your satisfaction is essential to us.

Regarding the HDMI CEC, you can actually enable it, but we can't guarantee that you can use the remote of your TV after doing it. Roku remotes have different system version that is only compatible with Roku streaming devices. 

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
madmax2069
Binge Watcher

My issues are with the volume buttons on the remote only, nothing to do with the Directional, or any other buttons used for UI navigation or playback. But I do believe that this is a similar issue with people having random UI inputs with their remotes. 

It seems like a software issue. I can reboot the Roku and remove and replace the batteries from the Roku remote which stops it for about a week then it'll start turning up or down the volume of the TV after I press the volume button, it acts like I'm still pressing the last volume button I pressed to adjust the volume. 

If it was a hardware button failure it wouldn't clear up after rebooting the Roku box or removing and reinstalling the batteries in the remote and not do it for a week.