Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku remote battery draining in 2 weeks

The Roku 4K is defective, it "eats" batteries. One week if you are lucky, then they need to be replaced. I found out that if you remove one when it stops working, then replace the same on back in, the remote will last for a couple of more clicks, but then it will die and wants new batteries. We have purchased a "big" box of Costco AAA batteries, just to feed the Roku, but it is very annoying to have had to do that and batteries are no longer cheep. The older Roku we have for upstairs is a non-4k Roku that has been working many months on its batteries, I can't even remember changing them. Something is wrong in the 4k design just admit it. I would bet many others have the same problem, they may not realize there is a battery problem in the 4k design.

Roku take notice, this is a real problem, and it reflects badly on your entire system. I like Roku for what it offers, but your 4K remote really sucks.  I have tried to contact you, but it is almost impossible. Maybe this discussion avenue will work.

14 REPLIES 14
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Battery Draining in 2 weeks (if you are lucky)

Hi there, @johnwilliam, and welcome to the Roku Community.

Something may be going on with your remote and you may need a replacement. 

Roku remotes are designed to go the distance, but there are a few things that will drain a remote a bit faster...

• Heavy usage of private listening on the remote itself--using the mobile app will save your batteries!
  • Congested Wi-Fi network around the device--the reason for this is that most remotes will use RF to connect to your Roku player and constant reconnection will use more battery.
  • Or viewing lots of short-form content, like YouTube, where a streamer could go through a few hundred button presses in an hour.

By the way, we also offer the Voice Remote Pro, which is a rechargeable remote with private listening, voice search and voice commands, two programmable shortcut buttons, lost remote finder, and you'll never buy a pack of batteries again. It also comes with the latest Roku Ultra and the new Plus Series Roku TV made by Roku.

We'll have a member of our support team reach out and see if a replacement remote helps.

Thanks,
Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos
Flight71180
Reel Rookie

I am in the same boat I need someone to reach out please I can’t put in new batteries every 3 days. 

model 3941x

12.0.0 • build 4184-CR

Batmanborg

I have to put new batteries on remote every week

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Batmanborg @Flight71180,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We want to assure you that your concerns are noted, and we'll do our best to assist you. We're sorry to hear about the experience you had regarding battery drain with your Roku remote. For us to better assist, kindly provided the following details:

• Could you elaborate the specific issue of the battery drain issue you have?
  • When did this issue started to occur?
  • How often do you use the remote?

With more information, we'll be able to assist you better.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kn61wf

I have the same issue with the battery draining quickly. The remote is only about two months old 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Kn61wf,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about this behavior you had with the Roku remote draining quickly. Could you provide us with the following information mentioned above? In this way, we'll be able to have a closer look and understand the issue you're having so we can provide our best solution.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Flight71180
Reel Rookie

this started after about 3 months of use in may. I will put in new batteries and watch tv for an hour. We will turn off tv and two days later the remote is dead. We put in new batteries and it’s the same thing over and over. We don’t watch the tv more than about 3 hours a week.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Flight71180

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having a problem with your Roku remote. We're happy to help. Please be aware that we have passed along your information to our Support team. They will reach out to you.

If there is anything else we can do to help you, please let us know.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Amelia70
Streaming Star

Still amazing that the remote not holding a charge is still a big problem . After a big battle 2 years ago roku replaced my remote but I own 4 of them and this problem has been ongoing for more than 3 years at least. It’s the new 4k remotes with and without ear plugs that are the problem for the streaming sticks. My older non 4k without any voice is still good after 5 years or more. 

I’ve read that the rechargeable remote has similar problems as well. 

Shame on roku for not fixing this problem permanently.