Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghart1230

Roku express has no volume control?

Ok, so I bought a Roku express which does not have volume control on the remote, which I did not understand at the point of purchase. My question is: can I purchase just a remote separately that will be able to do this without purchasing the entire box of equipment? Side note: seems a little silly to not include this feature for what looks to be about $10.00 in savings, IMO.  

25 REPLIES 25
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express has no volume control?

If the express isn't 3700 model, yes. 3900 & 3930 express can be paired to separately sold wifi voice remote. If you want it quick, you can purchase them at walmart $19.88, and best buy $29.99.

From roku its the first listed here:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Suncerae

It’s just stupid to not have a volume control on the remote. In this day and age that should be a standard thing. I assumed when I bought my Roku that it had it, SURPRISE! NOT! Blew my mind. Word of advice, check for volume control before you buy. WOW

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

There is a remote, not sold separately but it should, that will control the volume of tv's with hdmi-cec feature, its the Onn Roku Smart Soundbar IR remote. It will control roku that accept IR commands, even roku ten years old. It has tv power and volume keys, but whats preset to these are roku commands, so when the roku sees them it with initiate a hdmi-cec pulse to control the tv its connect with over the hdmi cable. I have tested this on 3700 express and a very old Roku 2 HD, both send hdmi-cec commands after they see the Roku tv commands. I really think the Roku simple IR remote should be upgraded with these Roku tv keys. There is no programming needed, you don't have to set the tv brand. Reason no matter what tv brand they all respond to the same commands coming over the hdmi cable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Eckerhill

I purchased a Roku HDMI plug in thumb unit that came with a control that has volume control and mute capabilities ears ago. I was astonished to find my recent purchase of a Roku express did not. However, i found that my old Control does work the Express so problem solved for me. I do think Roku took a step back in reputation with the sale of a device without volume control.

tkap
Channel Surfer

unbelievable no vol control and no power button what a bunch of junk!

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@tkap  The remote control with the TV mute / volume controls will only work on the 3900 and 3930 Express models. It will not work on the 3700.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@tkap

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that certain Roku model devices will not have the ability to control the TV power and volume.

For more detailed information about the different Roku model devices, visit our Product page.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
tkap
Channel Surfer

so why not put that on the outside of the box?

would not think you would sell a remote without a power on off button and volume control.

it is not a remote

now i  have to return it and get a firestick

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@tkap  The Voice Remotes did not begin releasing separately until 2019.  
Hopefully you’ll have better luck with FireTV Sticks than you have with Roku.  I do not recommend a FireTV device for those who still have CRT sets. With CRT sets having became obsolete and time to say “goodbye” in the late 2000s/early 2010s, FireTV is only designed for HDTV sets with 16:9 ratio, so most HDMI-to-AV adapters will squish the image from the FireTV device vertically to full screen.  The last Roku model with analog outputs was the Express+ 3910, released in fall 2017 and discontinued in summer/fall 2018.  None of the major players are produced with analog ports anymore, due to the obsoletion of CRTs, so most of the programming today will expect a 16:9 set.  I, in fact, am glad I still own a Roku Express+ 3910, after two years, attached to my old 1994 Magnavox/Philips CRT set.  Again, good luck with your FireTV Stick.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos