Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mosstronaut
Reel Rookie

Roku Voice Remote Pro Headphone Volume Unbalanced (Very Low on One Side)

I believe this is different from prior issues people have posted regarding their headphone audio through the remote. I recently set up my new Roku Ultra, and when trying the headphone feature through the Roku Voice Remote Pro I've found that the volume in the right ear / side is far lower than the volume in the left ear / side. For example, if I set the volume to a reasonable level, say, 25, I can hear the audio just fine out of the left ear, but the right ear will be nearly muted. However, if I turn the volume up to say 75, which is too loud out of the left side, the right side will sound like it's about at the 25 level. Other than the volume issue, the audio sounds clear (no noticeable crackling, static, or choppy sound).

I have tried the following so far:

- Using the headphones that came with the Roku Ultra in other devices. -> Issue does not persist in the headphones. It's not the headphones.

- Using different headphones that work in other devices. -> Same issue as described above, audio levels are unbalanced for either side. It's not a headphones issue.

- Resetting the Roku Ultra. I tried resetting from the Settings menu and also resetting using the remote's reset code (tap home five times, up once, rewind twice and fast forward twice). -> Issue persisted. Did not resolve the issue.

- Switching Audio options (i.e. Dolby or Stereo or Auto) -> Issue persisted no matter the option.

- Different apps / channels (Netflix, Hulu, Spotify) -> Issue persisted across apps / channels.

- Making sure remote is fully charged -> Fully charged before use. Currently at 91%.

- Using wireless Bluetooth headphones -> Issue did NOT persist when listening to the audio through Bluetooth. So, it seems unlikely this is an audio issue with the Roku Ultra and more of a remote issue.

This issue does not happen when listening to the TV through its own built in speakers either. It only occurs when plugging in headphones to the remote.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to resolve this? It would be great to be able to use a wired headphone with the remote in stereo instead of having this weird misbalanced levels issue! Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Voice Remote Pro Headphone Volume Unbalanced (Very Low on One Side)

Sounds like the 3.5mm headphone jack on the remote could be damaged or something else internally that processes the audio to the headphones. Sounds like you might need a replacement remote.

RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @Mosstronaut,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for notifying us about this and it seems like you've done the necessary troubleshooting along with the specified information about this.

We'll request back up from our Support team and I sent you a PM for further assistance.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
Mosstronaut
Reel Rookie

Hey @RokuERey !

Thank you so much for being welcoming and your help! Just sent you a reply.

Appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Mosstronaut
Reel Rookie

@Emissary35 Thanks for the reply and insight! That sounds likely to me as well. It's disappointing there's no easy fix with the remote I have, but good to hear replacing the remote will likely fix the issue. Appreciate the reply.

0 Kudos