Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barisaxman
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra 4802 Remote Battery Lasts 24 hours

Battery barely lasting a day and haven't had the system a week. Amazon new purchase on Cyber Monday.

Roku support said there's no way to troubleshoot it. What helpful live agents your company has. Also, what dip**bleep** designed a remote to not be able to swap a battery out?

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra 4802 Remote Battery Lasts 24 hours

My Roku Ultra purchased October 28 (TWO) worked fine for a month or so.  For the least month the built in rechargeable battery will die if not left plugged in ALL THE TIME.  First we noticed it would die overnight, but now it must be plugged in to function.  Once turned on, the battery meter pops up and shows FULL CHARGE, but no functions if let unplugged.  I have been trying to contact ROKU support by phone, by e-mail, by the Support Web Site, and have had no luck.  My TWO Roku Ultras are under warranty and I would like a resolution without having to purchase the Roku remote that used two AA batteries.  HELP!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Any chance either of you are leaving earbuds plugged into the remote? If so, that leaves the audio amp running full time, and will drain the batteries quickly. My Stick has the rechargeable remote, and it holds a charge for the month+ that I usually have between trips. So it's not an inherent problem with the rechargeable remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your response,

No, I have never used the earbuds.  I also turned off the energy saving feature which turns the Roku Ultra box off when not in use.  One community comment was that would cause the remote battery to die quicky because it was constantly searching for the Roku Ultra box.  I had hopes that would resolve my issue, but it made no difference.  The first month I had no issues with the remote, but recently the remote will not work unless it is plugged in CONSTANTLY.  I can leave it plugged in overnight and unplug it and within one hour try to turn on the TV and it does not work until I plug it back in.  I would like TWO replacement remotes or either replacement remotes that use the AA batteries.  I have 5 other Roku devices with AA remotes and have had good success with the remotes lasting about 6 months.

Purchased October 29, 2022 Amazon Order# 111-9275187-1541000

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yeah, I don't think searching for the Roku player is a factor. As I mentioned, my remote sits in my suitcase with the Stick for weeks at a time without either being plugged in, and I've never encountered a drained remote battery. I have a trip in three weeks, which will make 7 weeks since it was last plugged in. I'll make a point to check its battery level when I first connect the Stick in the hotel.

Dan

0 Kudos
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

My remote is right by my bed and will not function unless I plug it in.  Then the battery level shows 100% within 10 minutes!  It worked fine for a month or so, but now it is useless unless plugged in until I turn on the TV.  I also had to setup the remote with the TV multiple times since the remote went completely dead.  I have 6 other Roku Ultras using AA battery remotes with ZERO problems.  I have TWO of the Roku Ultras with the rechargeable remotes and both just do not hold a charge.  We never use the ear buds, and have power save features turned OFF which was our hope to fix the problem.  Did not make a difference, and I need to talk to someone at Roku to see if they will replace the remotes.  I hate to purchase NEW remotes just purchasing TWO Roku Ultras with rechargeable remotes at the end of October 2022.  More than frustrating!!!!  No response from anyone at Roku and no way to talk to them!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @chaynsworth,

Saw your post.

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.
Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
chaynsworth
Channel Surfer

I have TWO Roku Ultras with the rechargeable remotes that are acting the exact same way.  Last night my Master Bedroom remote would not control the volume or power the TV on or off.  In the morning it was working fine, other than having to be plugged in to function.  I tried SETUP to configure the remote to work with my Samsung TV and after following all prompts the remote setup was unsuccessful.  I unplugged the Roku box, waiting 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and went back to the remote setup with no success.  At this point I would like a replacement of the box and remote with AA batteries.  I liked the idea of the rechargeable batteries, but this is a real inconvenience.  My wife wants to toss the box and get the Xfinity box back.  See my information below on my Roku Ultra devices purchased on Amazon October 29, 2022 on invoice #111-9275187-1541000.

Roku Ultra SKU#4802R Serial Number:S0DA229PT63G

Roku Ultra SKU#4802R Serial Number:S0DA229YDVLL

I am not using the ear buds to drain the batteries.  The remote, if left unplugged overnight will not work in the morning.  We have also unplugged the remote, after being charging overnight, and the remote would not work unless plugged in.  Once the TV was turned on the remote worked fine.  As noted above, right now the remote will not turn on or off the TV or operate the volume.  The channel functions or selection with APPS works fine.  Let me know what additional information is required to have a warranty replacement while still under warranty.

Than you,

Charles

0 Kudos
atc98092

I just pulled my Stick out of the suitcase and checked the remote. This device hasn't been plugged in since the week of Dec 12. Although I can't pinpoint exactly the last time it was plugged in, it was likely fully charged on Dec 12 or 13. I used the remote each evening while staying at the hotel, then packed up on Friday and hadn't been touched since. When I checked its battery level this morning, it is reported at 85%, with three weeks passing since it was charged. So there doesn't seem to be an inherent bug in the remote firmware draining power. My guess is a defective remote, and Roku should replace them for you.

Dan

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @chaynsworth,

Thanks for following up and providing additional information.

A member of our Support team will reach out to you via email to assist you. Please let the Support team know if you have any other questions so they can assist you further and provide a resolution to this issue.

We appreciate your patience for the time being.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos