Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DunnFJC
Reel Rookie

Roku Select TV using a URC universal remote

Jump to solution

Hello, I just purchased a 50" Roku Select TV and have come to find that my universal learning remote cannot learn the required IR codes from the factory remote as it connects to the TV via RF. None of my other Roku remotes from my Roku boxes will operate this TV via IR either so I can't teach the universal with those. Is there a way to control this TV with IR? If so how can I achieve programming my URC brand remote?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DunnFJC
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Select TV using a URC universal remote

Jump to solution

Update: I was able to grab an IR Roku TV remote I had in my travel trailer and that did the trick for teaching my universal remote. The only things I am not able to do with my universal remote now are voice commands and plug in head phones, which I do not use anyway.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate your first post here in the Roku Community, @DunnFJC!

Thank you for reaching out regarding your concern about setting up a Universal Remote to control your Roku Select Series TV. We'd be happy to provide more information about this.

It is strongly advised to utilize the provided remote for your Roku Select Series TV, as it is precisely engineered to ensure optimal compatibility and performance with your TV. No worries! You may reach out to your remote's manufacturer, for further assistance about this. 

You may reach them here: URC Support

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if you need further clarification or assistance.

Happy Streaming with your new Roku Select Series TV! 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@DunnFJC 

If you want to try preset Tv codes in your URC universal remote try TV codes under such brands as Dynex, Admiral, or Sansui. 

But if you want to use the Roku remote to teach the universal remote, try unplugging the tv power cord, it should switch the wifi Roku remote to emit IR commands so you can use it to teach. It might emit stand-alone Roku IR commands which are useless on Roku tv's. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DunnFJC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update: I was able to grab an IR Roku TV remote I had in my travel trailer and that did the trick for teaching my universal remote. The only things I am not able to do with my universal remote now are voice commands and plug in head phones, which I do not use anyway.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.