Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jg11

Roku Remote mute button location issue

Does anybody else think the Roku remote button is in the worst location on the remote?  I hit it all the time by accident.  Even when trying to raise or lower the volume.  I wish they would redesign the remote and put the mute button on the top surface toward the bottom.

14 REPLIES 14
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Remote mute button location issue

Yes! I hate it.

Gary742

Definitely a sore spot with me. Too easy to accidentally mute; I do it at least once a day. What made Roku think it's placement was a good idea, and why? 

Strega2
Roku Guru

I think Roku likes their sleek and simple-looking remote.

One workaround, is to lie during remote set up and program it so none of those buttons actually affect the TV.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
TommyTyler
Reel Rookie

Roku is not going to change anything that affects molded plastic part tooling and every published document printed regarding their voice remote.  How about a simple software upgrade that adds a sort of debounce time factor to the button response, such as the mute input is ignored unless the button press lasts an unbroken 1 second or longer?  In fact, it wouldn't hurt to treat the V+ and V- buttons the same way.  Better yet, make the debounce feature selectable yes or no on the screen setup instructions.  These kind of "soft" upgrades can be made almost without even announcing them or revising anything in writing.

Tommy Tyler

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Best thing for this issue it remote cover, like these:

IMG_20220705_213555071.jpg

With covers like these, the Mute key is sunken below the rubber cover, so you have to purposely press the Mute for it to emit a signal. You can slide you hand of the volume and mute keys without it activating. Look for the one with ones with volume and mute keys cut out, you don't want the one with it completely covered up with rubber buttons above the rest of the cover. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TommyTyler
Reel Rookie

Where did you buy the covers shown in your solution ?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Amazon:

Amazon.com: Cover Replacement for Roku Voice Remote Pro Remote Control, White Glow Sleeve : Electron...

Edmund

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@TommyTyler 

They're on amazon:

Amazon.com: [3Pcs] Case for Roku Voice Remote Pro 2021(Only for 2021 Released), Anti Slip|Shockproof...

Edmund

0 Kudos
TommyTyler
Reel Rookie

I followed Tivoburkee's link and at first thought the remotes shown looked just like mine, so I ordered a bunch.  They had too many openings and didn't fit my new Roku remotes.  Roku has so many similar remotes, and they do a poor job of providing them with distinctive model numbers.  For example, the identification inside the battery compartment of my remotes is "Model RC-GZ1".  It's almost impossible to find that among the Amazon ads.  And the silicone cover designs vary widely.  Some have openings for the volume control buttons on the side, some have no openings at all for them, and they stick through above the surface of the cover, and others have molded enclosures for the buttons that also extend above the surface.  Searching further, I found a 4-pack for $9.99 that looked like they were for my exact remotes.  If your remotes have no "1" and "2" buttons between the pause button and the shortcut buttons, take a look at:    https://www.amazon.com/TOLUOHU-Silicone-Shockproof-Lanyard-3810-Roku/dp/B08NJQDTF7

0 Kudos