Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Remote mute button location issue

Putting the volume up/down and mute buttons on the right side of the remote is one of the dumbest things Roku could have done when designing their voice remotes. Absolutely no common sense at all! Any time you go to pick up the remote you can easily hit any of those buttons and mute the TV or raise or lower the volume unintentionally by accidentally squeezing them with your fingers.

The worst part about this is that there is plenty of room on the top of the remote for these buttons if it were designed properly, but Roku have a team of idiots working for them. I guess they never product tested these remotes before mass producing them either because I bet they would have gotten a lot of complaints about the side buttons getting in the way when holding the remote or picking it up.

Let's also not forget that these Roku voice remotes are battery killers and there have been complaints going back several years and the issues still have not been corrected! Their annoying low battery warning that pops up all the time on your TV is very annoying and they won't add an option to turn it off in the settings.

Roku makes JUNK remotes designed by incompetent fools!

0 Kudos
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

I'm more annoyed that the went from AA batteries to AAA batteries & now I'm changing them about every 5 weeks vs. MONTHS for the AA batteries. 

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

The older voice remotes took the larger double A batteries because they had the private listening feature with the headphone input jack. Those remotes had to be thicker to accommodate those larger batteries and the remote was heavier to hold.

The newer voice remotes removed the private listening feature which allows them to be thinner like the simple IR remotes and take triple A batteries, which means they are thinner and lighter in weight when holding them.

In my experience these newer remotes are more comfortable to hold in your hand as well as being more efficient when it comes to battery usage, but the batteries still don't last long enough in my opinion.

The low battery message that pops up on the screen is very annoying. It's even more annoying that Roku absolutely refuses to create an option in the remote part of the settings to turn this battery notification off!

Tepest

Please explain disabling mute button on remote. I am not tech savvy. The remotes mutes every time I hold it. This is so upsetting for me. Thanx

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Tepest,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. Once programmed in, there isn't a way to turn off the mute button by itself. If there was, it would also turn off the TV's power and volume buttons because they are connected.

You can go into the settings to program the TV. Settings > Remotes & Devices > Remotes > Set up a remote for TV control.

You can go through the steps and instead of following the steps correctly, you can do the opposite way and it should no longer control the TV, volume, mute, or power.

This will depend on you if you want to resort to this step but just a reminder that it will disable your volume, mute, or power button as they are linked together.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.