Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LEC

Roku Express 4k not working

We have a relatively new Roku 4k Express (purchased Nov 2022).

We recently had decorating done so it was removed from the room and stored in a box for a few weeks.

We've just plugged it back in and it is not working.

It boots up and comes up with the welcome screen and asks me to select a language however when I try to select a language using the remote it doesn't respond other than for the blue light on the 4k device to start blinking (and doesn't stop).

Things I've tried:

Pressing (and holding) the reset button on the 4k device.

Changing the batteries on the remote.

Soft reset pattern on remote.

Changing the cables (HDMI and USB on the 4k device. 

Unplugging the device and removing the batteries from the remote, waiting 1 minute then plugging back in and batteries back in.

Shouting at it...

Please does anyone have any ideas?! I really don't want to buy another one only 18 months after buying this one!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Roku Express 4k not working

Hello, @LEC choiceADVANTAGE

It seems like you've already tried several troubleshooting steps for your Roku 4K Express, including resetting the device and changing batteries on the remote. Here are a few additional things to try:

First, ensure the remote is properly paired with the Roku. Remove the batteries, unplug the Roku from power, then plug it back in and reinsert the batteries to see if it automatically pairs. If not, manually pair the remote by holding the pairing button until the light flashes and then stops.

If the remote still doesn't respond, consider performing a factory reset on the Roku device. Locate the reset button, typically found on the device itself, and hold it for about 20 seconds until the device resets. Follow the on-screen prompts to set it up again.

Check the HDMI connection between the Roku and your TV to ensure it's secure. Try using a different HDMI port on your TV or a new HDMI cable if possible.

Best Regard,
florence023

0 Kudos
LEC

I've tried all of this. My remote doesn't have a pairing button.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Just wanted to mention that the Express 4K (no +) comes with an IR remote that doesn’t have to be paired, but must be pointed at the front of the Express.  The Express 4K+ comes with a Wi-Fi remote that does require pairing.

If you have a Wi-Fi remote with no pairing button, scroll down to the part labeled “Pair a Roku voice remote with standard batteries (without pairing button)” on this page:

https://support.roku.com/en-ca/article/360011621473

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@LEC Assuming you are using the remote that came with your Roku, it is IR and as @Strega2 mentioned it does not require pairing. It does need a clear line of sight between the Roku and the remote. 

You can test your remote to see if it's working by using a digital camera (such as a cell phone camera). Look at the end of the remote you point at the Roku through the camera screen, and then press several buttons on the remote. If the remote is working, you will see flashing lights when you press the buttons. 

If you don't see the lights flashing, first check your batteries. I know you said you replaced them, but make sure they are installed correctly. Some Roku remotes have both batteries pointing the same direction, while others have one battery opposite the other. Your case will show the correct orientation under the batteries. 

If the batteries are installed correctly but still no flashing lights, then the remote has likely failed. You can find very inexpensive universal IR remotes in many stores that include Roku support.. I've seen some for less than $10. You can decide if it's worth spending $10-20 for a remote, or pay $40 and get a brand new Express 4K+ which comes with the Voice Remote with TV controls. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.