Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eman2021
Channel Surfer

Roku 3500x Streaming Stick Remote No Longer Works

Jump to solution

My Roku 3500x Streaming Stick remote no longer works. I know this is an old device and is no longer supported by Roku. I also know there are numerous posts pertaining to this issue. PLEASE NOTE: I have tried all troubleshooting instructions on these forums.

I can't get the remote into pairing mode no matter what I do. The green light simply will not flash. This remote has worked for years and has never been damaged or dropped.

So all I can assume is Roku has disabled the RF capability on the stick itself with the last update. By doing this, they can force the device to stop functioning with the remote. Clever, I suppose. I also know they'll never admit that.

I performed a factory reset and now I can't get past the "Pair Remote" screen. I also can't get the Roku Streaming stick to show up on the the Roku app because I CAN'T GET PAST THIS SCREEN to set up networking.

I spent good money on this device and I know it still is capable of functioning, despite being older and slower. I just want to use it with  the TV in my garage.

I need to get past this screen and use the Roku app to control the device. The stick itself was still working despite the remote no longer functioning. Unfortunately, because of the factory reset I did, it is essentially "bricked".

From all the reading I have done, MANY people have this issue.

Please PUBLICLY post a way to get this device and other older devices past the "Pair Remote" screen.

I'm not interested in PMing a Roku employee so they can tell me some useless troubleshooting methods that won't work.

I want an answer to this problem posted on this forum FOR ALL OF US TO SEE.

Otherwise, Roku needs to admit they disable functioning older devices to force people to buy something newer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku 3500x Streaming Stick Remote No Longer Works

Jump to solution

@eman2021

Thanks for the follow up.

As stated previously, we no longer offer a replacement remote for the Roku Streaming Stick model 3500. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

I have passed along the information that you have provided to our Support team who will follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Bravo_Alpha_Fox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the exact issue with a 3600x stick. Without the remote, I cannot set it up. And Roku does not sell a replacement remote that works with this model.  HELP!!!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@eman2021, there simply is no way.  There's no way to use the app until the stick is connected to Wi-Fi, period.  I hate to say it, but that stick simply isn't worth the time, effort, or money it would take to solve your problem.  I'm not even going to entertain your conspiracy theory.

@Bravo_Alpha_Fox, the Voice Remote or Voice Remote Pro work with the 3600 stick.  If you're not in the US, that could be a problem.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

So, I found my 3500 stick which I haven't seen since I moved it took about a hour to find. 😞 Anyways I plugged in it still thought it was hooked to my account, I deleted from my account when it was unplugged. So Factory reset it, found the three Roku 3 remotes, the RC03, RC08, and RC19. And paired each one to the 3500 stick. Put in my internet, let it update and then attached to my roku account. It said it updated, it wa unplugged when 10.0 rolled out and thats what it updated to. Works fine. Your remote just gave up, it happens even to $500 universal remotes. You can look on ebay for three roku 3 remotes I listed, each has headphone jack which WON"T work with 3500 stick, but what will is the volume keys, if your tv has hdmi-cec feature, and the tv recognizes 3500 stick as a cec device. You have volume commands the original 3500 remote didn't have. 

Edmund

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@eman2021

Thanks for the post.

We no longer offer a replacement remote for the Roku Streaming Stick model 3500. However, we would be happy to see what we can do to help get you back up and running.

Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device (printed on the side/back of the device) and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eman2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Danny,

The serial number is:

2LA4CR038561

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
eman2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Still waiting on the support team to reach out.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@eman2021 wrote:

Still waiting on the support team to reach out.

Check here to see if there's deal for you to upgrade from the 3500 stick:

https://my.roku.com/upgrade/

Everyone who clicks on the above link sees different deals depending on the roku devices your have on your account. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
eman2021
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Edmund,

Thanks for the response. However, I don't want to upgrade. I want to continue using 3500x Streaming Stick using the Roku app as the remote. Let me know how to do that.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You can't without a remote!! Roku doesn't have remotes that work with 3500 anymore, not that they're sold out, but aren't made any longer. Your only hope is used on ebay, like these:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=roku+remote+rc07&_sacat=0...

or

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=roku+remote+rc03&_sacat=0...

They have headphone jacks but they don't work on your 3500 stick. The reset of the remote will once paired. The volume key on those remotes will control the tv if it has cec feature and its turned on. 

Edmund

0 Kudos