Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to enable Private Listening but have it play on the TV as well

Jump to solution

My mother is hard of hearing, but I am not.   So that we can watch a movie together at a volume that does blast my ears, and yet allows her to hear what is being said, I'd like the capability for my mom to listen via headphones attached to the Roku Pro Remote (dubbed as the "Private Listening" feature) at whatever volume she wants, while simultaneously the sound would also play out of the tV/soundbar at whatever volume I like.

Is there a way to do this now?    If so, how?    If not, is this a feature you could add in the future?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Is there a way to enable Private Listening but have it play on the TV as well

Jump to solution

Hi @CaRokooDude,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

When private listening is active, you will not hear audio from your TV speakers, you may also use private listening. If your compatible Roku device is running Roku OS 8.1 or later, up to four mobile devices can be connected for private listening.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I use headphones on my mobile device for private listening? | Official Roku Support 

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Kind regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Is there a way to enable Private Listening but have it play on the TV as well

Jump to solution

Hi @CaRokooDude,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

When private listening is active, you will not hear audio from your TV speakers, you may also use private listening. If your compatible Roku device is running Roku OS 8.1 or later, up to four mobile devices can be connected for private listening.

For full information on this, you can take a look at this link: How do I use headphones on my mobile device for private listening? | Official Roku Support 

Let me know if you have any other questions, and have a good day!

Kind regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TB1962
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hey Mary, I don't think you offered the answer to the above question.  I too share the same issue.  I want mother to enjoy TV with the family via the private listing feature with headphones and the rest of us want to hear at the same time via the TV speakers.  How can we do this???   In other posts, I've learned; 

1. that by pressing up 2X's, then down 2X's, then up 3X's, and finally down 3X's on the volume button that you can accomplish this.  NOT SO FOR US. 

2.  I've also read that one could, "Select Headphone/Audio out → Audio out (Fixed). On the remote control, press the BACK button. Select Headphone speaker link. If the Headphone speaker link is not listed, select Audio to both TV speakers & another device to enable it, and then skip the next step. Jun 22, 2021.  I could not find this within the menus offered.

Please help.

Todd@1stopinc.com 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Number 1 was removed a while ago; no one knows why. I'm not familiar with #2, but it probably only applies to RokuTVs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
TB1962
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thank u for taking time to reply to my Query.  Does any one else have any ideas that could help us get the results we’re interested in? 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@TB1962 wrote:

thank u for taking time to reply to my Query.  Does any one else have any ideas that could help us get the results we’re interested in? 

I have an onn Roku Smart TV and when I set it up I hooked a Sony sound bar +Bluetooth subwoofer for movie sound quality via the optical cable instead of just a plug from audio out. Before I purchased the Roku voice remote Pro It sounded like an echo unless I muted the TV while the sound bar was on. But now the headphones jack on the Roku remote can play any volume independently from what I have the sound bar volume set. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos