Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calwestray
Reel Rookie

Remotes with numeric pad?

Jump to solution

Are there ANY remotes out there that work with number keypads to make changing stations on digital TV easier, than to just SLOWLY go up and down the channels? There's gotta be a better way!
If there aren't any, why can't Roku design the technology to have such a remote?
It is SUCH a pain to manually go up and down all the channels.
I have to slowly go from 2.1 to 2.2 to 5.1 to 5.2 to 5.3 to 7.1 to 7.2 to 7.3 to 9.1 etc.
And if you go too fast, it scrolls through a bunch of stuff on the same channel.
Is there a solution?

7 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Remotes with numeric pad?

Jump to solution

Rokus have NO support to receive numbers via remote signals. The only way to enter numbers is sometimes using the Roku app on a phone or tablet.

View solution in original post

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is it a voice remote? If so, can it be used to change directly to a channel by saying channel numbers or the network name?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You can also use the << and >> buttons to page through the channel guide much faster. 

But no, Roku has no support for numeric entry via a remote. It's been a requested item for years, but nothing has come of it. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

MotorcycleCindy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here is a surprise... I bought a TCL Roku 5 series 55 inch TV. My old/other tv's were Best Buy, Insignia.

Out of habit I picked up my Insignia remote to change the channel on my TCL Roku.. Guess what..? It worked! In fact.. it works everything on my TV! Including the number pad! The only exception about the number input is, on "live tv" where my antenna, free local channels are.. it will not let me use the decimal.  Ex:  68.2  but once into the Roku channels, it will let me key in the number.

It also let's me use the "last channel" return button! Volume, mute and channel up/down are also much better than the TCL/Roku remote. Oh and it also allows the volume button to control the volume through the soundbar.

20220823_172239.jpg

My remote is Insignia. NS-RC4NA-14

You can buy the remote on Ebay, or maybe even at Best Buy.

Pick up your old TV remote and see if it works! Mine does!

calwestray
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I got that remote, hoping it would do the job. It doesn't work at all with Roku. 
I was disappointed.

0 Kudos
loriwoo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks for letting me know. I didn't think it would, I don't think this tv has anyway to recognize numeral input. 

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

@ericepp 

Sorry but @makaiguy is right, I bought every brand of Roku tv IR remote but one, and I own TCL, insignia, and hisense Roku TVs. There is two tv code sets used, one which matches the Admiral tv code of old, and the other  matches the Goldstar tv of old. The Admiral code set is used by the majority of Roku tv brands. Where the Goldstar is only used by Hisense and Sharp Roku tvs. But Hisense & Sharp accept both code sets, that's why you think there is only one. My TCL remote works on the Hisense, but the Hisense remote has no effect on the TCL or the Insignia Roku TVs.

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.

35 REPLIES 35
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Rokus have NO support to receive numbers via remote signals. The only way to enter numbers is sometimes using the Roku app on a phone or tablet.

calwestray
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well, it's not an 'accepted solution'. It's giving in to the realization that Roku isn't coming up with a workable solution for this failure in the technology. It's a terrible workaround.

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is it a voice remote? If so, can it be used to change directly to a channel by saying channel numbers or the network name?

atc98092

Jump to solution

You can also use the << and >> buttons to page through the channel guide much faster. 

But no, Roku has no support for numeric entry via a remote. It's been a requested item for years, but nothing has come of it. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

To add: Roku devices were originally designed for just streaming. No numbers since it was mainly for just scrolling through lists or boxes. When Roku licensed their code for use by TV manufacturers, it seems as if the remote code set is part of it. The thinking was that most people don't use a TV as a tuner anymore and mostly use a 3rd party tuner like a cable or satellite box. It's only been recently that cord-cutting has pushed people back to antenna's. And the rise of both cable system apps and services like Sling have made having numbers a bit more useful again.

That said, most think the idea of channel numbers will slowly disappear as 'linear' programming is replaced with OnDemand-style programming.

Techracer

Jump to solution

No these new streaming apps have done nothing but reenforce the need for numbers

MotorcycleCindy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here is a surprise... I bought a TCL Roku 5 series 55 inch TV. My old/other tv's were Best Buy, Insignia.

Out of habit I picked up my Insignia remote to change the channel on my TCL Roku.. Guess what..? It worked! In fact.. it works everything on my TV! Including the number pad! The only exception about the number input is, on "live tv" where my antenna, free local channels are.. it will not let me use the decimal.  Ex:  68.2  but once into the Roku channels, it will let me key in the number.

It also let's me use the "last channel" return button! Volume, mute and channel up/down are also much better than the TCL/Roku remote. Oh and it also allows the volume button to control the volume through the soundbar.

20220823_172239.jpg

My remote is Insignia. NS-RC4NA-14

You can buy the remote on Ebay, or maybe even at Best Buy.

Pick up your old TV remote and see if it works! Mine does!

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Good for you, even 30 year old universal and oem remotes could control present day Roku tvs. Because they used such an old tv code set.  

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
loriwoo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

seriously?!?!  worth spending 10 bucks to see? I already bought a roku remote with buttons that said it would work but it does not.  

The tv I bought Dad has the exact original remote you showed,,,