Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remotes with numeric pad?

Jump to solution

@rick230944 

The Insignia. NS-RC4NA-14 is not a universal remote, so I wouldn't try buying it when there are many True universals available. Check Best Buy, they have Insignia universal remotes that will work with your TCL using setup code 4398. Like the following:

Insignia™ 5-Device Backlit Universal Remote Black NS-RMT5D21 - Best Buy

Check on that page for used ones at great discount. You might have some at local Best Buy, if not they can be shipped. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
rick230944
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks Tivo...I'll try it!

0 Kudos
Chris68
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi @rick230944 😁

I would say nothing is guaranteed in life or Roku...😅 But I ended up buying 3 new Insignia remotes online (one at a time of course) and they all worked on all of my Roku TVs. I currently have 7 with a 43'' being the smallest. I would almost bet they would work on a 32" as well though. They work the same functions as the original Roku remotes with a couple of extra add-on functions as well. I forget what they are...bringing up extra menus I believe.  It's just interesting that the Roku's remote doesn't have the same function. The number pad only works with the built in Roku TV channels stream and OTA channels though. I haven't been able to use the number pad on any of the channel apps you add so far.

The remotes I'm using are NS-RC02A-12 (2 different versions) One is smaller and the buttons are laid out a bit different but works fine. Two different manufactures just using the same Model # I imagine.

Another remote that works great is RC-801-0A. It's an original Insignia remote that came with an old Insignia TV that died. Yeah... I keep old remotes because you never know. 😅 This remote predates Roku TVs I believe, but amazingly worked. Sooooo.... If I were to see an Insignia remote at a yard sale or thrift store for 50 cents are so, I would probably take a chance.

I bought the last remote for my mother, so unfortunately I don't have it close to read the model # It could be the same as Motorcycle Cindy, but IDK. 🤔 As far as universal remotes, the ones I have would not work any of the Roku TVs I have with any of the Insignia codes. Surprisingly the Insignia remotes I bought online just worked right out of the box.

Anyway, good luck with your search Rick...

Excelsior,

Chris

0 Kudos
rick230944
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Chris68,

I bought the remote Model NS-RC02A-12. It performs the same functions like the Roku remote that came with the TV except the numeric keys do not work for channel selection. I am disappointed & frustrated to say the least! A total waste of money on this garbage of a TV!

One thing I sure of...will never buy another Roku TV...period!

0 Kudos
Chris68
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi @rick230944

I'm sorry that the remote didn't seem to work for you. 😥 I've really used 4 different insignia remotes on all off my Roku TVs (including one remote that predates Roku.) They have all worked, including the numeric pad. 🤔 The Roku TVs I have are all TCLs which I believe was the brand you have. I can't vouch with how the remotes would work on other Roku TVs like Hisense, Oohn, or whatever, but they really have worked on TCL models. As I mentioned though, the numeric pad will only work on Roku's Live TV. Input a channel and I see the number on the screen as I input it and then it will go to that channel. Remotes will not work with OTA channels though because of the (.) added to those channels.

Roku does have lots of various issues that I have been **bleep**ing about on other posts but I haven't given up yet on any of the issues either. I'm just happy to be unchained from cable... Who would have thought that we would have to pay for TV 20 or 30 years ago?

Anyway, try periodically to use the remote. Maybe it's an update issue... IDK.  Maybe I just got lucky with all the TCL TVs and Insignia Remotes. 🤔 In any case your fellow Roku users will try and seem to be more help then any of the "Bots" you will hear from the forum.

Good Luck Rick,

Chris

0 Kudos
rick230944
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Chris68,

Thanks for replying, not your fault...you were only trying to help.

I have over the air tv (OTA) & the remote for my other TV's also do not use the decimal (.) point for channel selection. Normally if I select a OTA channel (eg....NBC 2, CBS 4, ABC 7 etc...) a small (inset screen) menu pops up with the decimal channel(s) associated with that 'major' channel & I can use the "arrow" keys on the remote to select the "decimal" channel. eg....2.1, 4.2 etc... The remote I bought (NS-RC02A-12) should be capable of doing the same but the TCL 32" Roku TV does not recognize the (numeric) inputs. No channel number on the TV screen pops up. It's obvious the soft ware is not in the Roku TV to recognize the numbers. There are Roku voice remotes selling on Amazon but at this point I am very skeptical buying one as I'm not sure it will work. I will have to contact Roku to get information & advice. This is becoming not only a frustrating/exhausting pursuit but EXPENSIVE! When I decided to buy another TV, the name "Roku" did not inspire confidence & I should have followed intuition.