Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stops working - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

I am having the same issues with the Streaming Stick 4K remote.

ALL was good for approx 7-8 months and then started having issues with the ROKU menu buttons.  TV will turn on/off without any problems.  I have done all the steps as documented BUT I don't have time to keep messing with it to hopefully get it to work.

After reading all the posts, this seems to be a common problem after a period of time.  Sometimes I am able to get the remote to start working again by rotating the batteries around but for the love of God, it should not have to be this way.

So ROKU support folks, what is the real issue with these remotes that out of the blue start having issues working the ROKU menu options.

As stated, the ROKO remote will turn on/off my TV but it's within the ROKU menu buttons that stop working. 

What is the resolution?  Please advise ... Thank You!

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

I think I might of discovered a possible solution. 

It appears the battery cover is not tight enough.  I put a rubber band around the bottom of the remote to make sure the cover is fitting tight as possible.   Folks have probably notice when you compress the bottom of the remote from the front and back, you notice that remote would function. 

I wrapped the rubberband as many times as I could w/o breaking it. 

It's seem to be making sense the issue is the remote design as it appears if folks use a remote via an app on their phones, they are not having any issues.  Seems to be a design flaw with back of battery case not fitting tight enough, hence when folks rotate the batteries, it starts working for a period of time. 

So far, it's working for me and it's been less than a day. 

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Sorry but the rubberband around the bottom of the remote was NOT a temporary fix.

Remote is not working again.

Only thing that seems to work temporarily is rotating the batteries while they are still in the back of the remote. 

Please ROKU ... what is going on with the remotes?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Emissary35 @ThePibbster,

Thank you for keeping us updated, and welcome to the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information?

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the home screen and pressing the * button)?
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Hi John,

This just started happening randomly.  The person who started this thread stated by rotating the batteries around would get to work again and it does for a period of time.

I have done ALL trouble shooting steps that has been discussed in the community forums.  As stated the only thing works is rotating the batteries around while pressing the buttons until you see them moving on your screen.

There is a ton of discussion and it's appears to be a common problem.   Everything was good for approx 6-8 months and then the remotes started not responding to commands within ROKU menu.  ON/OFF for TV has no issues ... it's the buttons to operate within ROKU's menu. 

Here's info you requested:
1st device:
Model 3820x - Streaming Stick 4K

Serial #  - X017000C4V79S
Softward version - 12.5.0 build 4178-CU
Device ID - S08Y41C4V79S
Remote Model# RC-FA1 #32260001105

2nd device:
Model 3820x - Streaming Stick 4K
Serial #  - X01700XDAEE8
Softward version - 12.5.0 build 4178-CU
Device ID - S08Y41CDAEE8
Remote Model# RC-FA1 #32260001105

Cannot produce a TRACKER ID as the ROKU buttons are not responding. 

Thank You!

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ThePibbster,

Thank you for keeping us updated!

Please be aware that we have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Roger that @RokuJohnB

After reading everything, the common dominator appears to be the battery compartment of the remotes.  If you roll/rotate the batteries, eventually, the remote buttons will respond thru to the ROKU device.

Look forward to an update in near future. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ThePibbster,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. No worries; we will be sure to update you on this thread once feedback is available.

We appreciate your patience while we investigate this issue.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Hi @RokuJohnB and @RokuJechealR ...

Wanted to share more trouble shooting tips I did.  

I installed the ROKU APP remote on my phone  and NO problems on both of my ROKU streaming sticks.

So it's all pointing to the remote itself and just like ALL other ROKU customers are stating.  The perception is that the remotes have a design flaw after a period of time.  I did not even make it a year and the one ROKU remote was used very little. 

As stated previously, its all pointing to the battery compartment. 

Thank You!

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ThePibbster,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We appreciate you sharing the fantastic troubleshooting steps you performed. We will forward this additional information to our appropriate Roku team to further help investigate the issue.

Your assistance is much appreciated, so we can try to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.