Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scooter2
Binge Watcher

Remote stops working - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

Streaming Stick 4K - remote stops sending commands to the TV - only way I can fix that is to take off the back cover, rotate the batteries with my finger and then everything starts working again. Have tried new batteries to no avail. Happens now and then - not every time I use it?

62 REPLIES 62
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote stops working - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

Hi @Scooter2,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We would recommend starting with the troubleshooting steps provided in this Support link: How to resolve issues with your Roku simple remote or Roku voice remote. If there are still no dice, please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. It can be found on the back of the stick itself.

Please keep us updated.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Scooter2-

You may have some dirt or corrosion on the battery contacts in the remote.  You may be able to clean them by scraping with a small screw driver or nail file.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Scooter2
Binge Watcher

Contacts look nice and clean - might try a dab of dielectric compound on them.  This is happening to several of my roku streaming 4K setups - so I am wondering if this is a problem with these remotes ?

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

I am having similar problems with my remote. Every time I plug my device back in my remote is still technically 'paired' but it will not give a battery level and the voice button won't work. When I press the voice button I get a message on the screen saying I should pair the remote again, which is an annoying experience because it keeps failing to pair.

I spent almost 40 minutes today trying to get it to pair and it finally did and was working for a while, then stopped. I have never had this issue with any of my other voice remotes and I have multiple Roku players. I am beginning to think this is a defective remote and if that is so I will need a replacement.

Please help!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Scooter2 

Thanks for joining us here in the Roku Community!

We see that you're having a remote issue, and thanks for flagging us about this. We're here to help.

Could you tell us how long you have been using this remote? When did you start seeing this behavior?

Share with us more information about this so that we can further zoom in on it.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Emissary35,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We appreciate you sharing your experience about this. We'd like to learn more about this.

Could you tell us when did you start seeing the issue occur and is this the remote that came along with that device?

Tell us, and we'll help you further.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Yes it is the remote that came with my Roku Streaming Stick 4K device. I started having this problem about two weeks ago and have had to do the re-pairing process every time I return to the device to use again. It is very frustrating.

Not only do I have to re-pair the remote in order to get voice function to work but the pairing process fails continuously before eventually succeeding. But it will only stay fully paired for that session, when I go back hours later after not using the Roku the issue happens again.

Serial Number on the Stick: S0J7338V6FTY

0 Kudos
GoofyFoot

I’ve had the exact same issue! I have two 4K stick voice remotes bought a couple of months apart. They both had the problems and stopped working at the exact same time. I’ve gone through every trouble shooting procedure they’ve suggested. It all adds up to a recent update by Roku and it bricked our remotes. Come On Roku! Telling me I need new remotes or to use my phone is a solution! They aren’t even 6 months old! 

Scooter2
Binge Watcher

Put in use January 2023

Issue started about a month ago or so 

Having same problem with another remote I have on another TV

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.