Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stops working - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

Hi @RokuJohnB and @RokuJechealR ...

Any update?  After reading all the forums, this seems to be a problem for much longer than the customers are happy with.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Hi @RokuJohnB and @RokuJechealR ...

Inquiring for an update, remotes are still NOT operating as they should.  Operation is sporadic and inconsistent with the remotes but the ROKU remote app on my phone operates flawlessly, so it's all pointing to the remotes are defective.

I would like for ROKU to send me (2) new voice remotes. 

Please advise.

Thank You!

0 Kudos
Jkg70
Reel Rookie

I have had the same issue with the two latest Roku remotes from the streaming sticks I’ve purchased (about a year ago). The third (older) remote has no issues at all. On the newer, the volume buttons stick, so pressing the buttons up/down once makes the volume go all the way up or down and can’t stop it until it’s too loud. AND the remotes become unresponsive after a viewing session and are left for some time, requiring me to open the cover and remove/replace one of the batteries multiple times per day. This has been an issue from the day I purchased them and are definitely a design flaw/manufacturing defect. 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ThePibbster,

Thanks for the post!

Currently, our appropriate Roku team is still investigating this issue. Once there is available information, we will make sure to update this community thread.

Your extended patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jkg70,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We'd like to investigate this issue further. May we know if this is happening on all contents and channels or if it is isolated? (Specify) Is there a stuck button that you're seeing on the Roku remote?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

Re: Remote stops working on Streaming Stick 4K - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

Hello @Scooter2 ... thanks for creating this thread back in December.  Have you gotten any feedback on a resolution?  Would you edit the original post and put in "Streaming Stick 4K".  I did an edit on this reply.  That would help others searching for help on these defective remotes that are coming with the Streaming Stick 4K. 

So @GoofyFoot and @Emissary35 have you guys gotten any feedback on a resolution?

After all I read, the remotes are failing after a period of time and the phone app ROKU remote works perfect but I want the darn remotes to work like they should.

How long have the Streaming Stick 4K's been around?

Thank You!

0 Kudos
Jkg70
Reel Rookie

Hi, John,

Thank you and thanks for the quick reply!

Reposting this reply again,  as authentication seems to have failed the first time:

I don’t use many of the buttons and I suppose it’s only my best guess that the buttons are ‘sticking’ because if I press either volume button, it feels normal, meaning the physical button seems to rebound back to its starting position, but the command repeats. So, the remote makes the short blip sound when you hit the volume button, then that sound repeats rapidly as the volume uncontrollably increases or decreases to max. It’s most notable with the volume buttons but can happen with others, such as the arrows or fast-forward or reverse buttons. At times, when I turn off the TV using the remote’s power button, the green light blinks rapidly for a second or after doing so. Separately, once the remote goes unresponsive, none of the buttons work at all. In my case for both remotes, it started right out of the box new, s as nd I even exchanged one thinking it was defective, but the exchanged unit behaves the same.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jkg70,

We appreciate the information that you have provided to us!
May we know what the current software version of your Roku device is by going to settings, system, and about?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Scooter2
Binge Watcher

Re: Remote stops working on Streaming Stick 4K - have to rotate batteries to get it working again.

Do not see how to edit my original post - if you have instructions on how to do that - please post them.  I tried clicking on the 3 dots in upper right hand corner - but did not see an "Edit" choice.

ROKU has sent me some new remotes - Model: RC-GZ1  They are a little shorter than the previous remotes I had and do not have a light and button you can see when removing the battery cover - but do have a small light in the upper left hand corner on the front of the remote.

So far seem to be working fine. The originals were OK for the first 10 months - so long term I am not sure how these will do.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
ThePibbster
Streaming Star

@Scooter2 thanks for the response and info.  My issue was the same as yours, so I hope ROKU sends me 2 replacement remotes like they did for you.  The perception is these new remotes with the streaming stick 4K start flaking out within a years time. 

Since you were the creator of the thread, you might not have an option to EDIT but I can edit any of my replies in this thread. 

Thank You!

ROKU has sent me some new remotes - Model: RC-GZ1  They are a little shorter than the previous remotes I had and do not have a light and button you can see when removing the battery cover - but do have a small light in the upper left hand corner on the front of the remote.

So far seem to be working fine. The originals were OK for the first 10 months - so long term I am not sure how these will do.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos