Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote power button turns tv on but not Roku streaming player.

Jump to solution

@chrisbclueless 

Which part of the solution did not work for you?

Basically, the red Power button, the Volume up and down, and Mute buttons are "TV controls".  They will only control your TV, no effect on the Roku device.

If you do not have CEC enabled on both the Roku device and also on your TV (located in your TV HDMI settings), then the 1-touch play feature will not work.

If not using "1-touch play" (any button press other than using the TV controls mentioned above) to wake up Roku device and turn on TV simultaneously, then pressing the Home button on your remote should wake your device. (pressing the Home button a few times won't hurt anything and may be required).

If not using 1-touch play, you will need to press Home to wake up Roku device, and then press the red Power button on your remote to turn on  your TV. (or you can press Power first, then Home button.  Order does not matter).

If the above does not help, try disabling "Power Savings" if you have a newer Roku model.  This setting is located under Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20-min inactivity [uncheck to Disable].

Feel free to post back if still having issues and describe how you are/were trying to turn on the device and what was happening.  Include Roku model number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Steve442

Jump to solution

Thank you very much that worked for me. Thank you for taking the time to respond to somebody’s post in this. Very kind of you

0 Kudos
jhoney12
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my Roku 4K streaming stick connected to an HDMI port on my new LG TV. The remote is paired with both my Roku device and the LG TV. However, the remote only turns on the TV, not the Roku. I then have to turn off the TV using my Roku remote, wait for it to power down, and then press the power button again to turn on both the TV and Roku. It's frustrating to go through this process every time I want to watch TV. I've been a fan of Roku devices for years and never had this problem until the past 6 months with my new TV. This issue is annoying and occurs consistently when I want to use the TV. To ensure your parcel arrives safely and on time with different courier services, try using TraceShipments.com. This platform provides real-time Shipment tracking and updates from a variety of courier companies, making it easy to monitor your parcel's progress.

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @jhoney12,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate your inquiry regarding the issue with your Roku remote not powering on your Roku device. We're happy to help.

• How are you powering your Roku device?
  • Are the 1- 1-touch play and CEC enabled in your player?

Enable 1-touch play on your player

When enabled, a feature called 1-touch play tells your TV to automatically switch its active source/input to your Roku player when any button on your Roku remote is pressed. Open the Settings menu and enable 1-touch play using the steps below.

1. Press Home 

on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Control other devices
  5. Check the box next to 1-touch play

Enable CEC on your TV

A feature known as HDMI-CEC (or just CEC) lets devices on the same HDMI connection send commands to each other, which is how your Roku player can turn on your TV or your TV can wake your Roku player. For this to function properly, it is important to check that your TV supports CEC and that the feature is enabled. It is not uncommon for CEC to be disabled by default.

When looking for the setting on your TV, keep in mind that some manufacturers such as Hitachi and Vizio refer to CEC by its proper name, while others like LG, Panasonic, and Sony use brand-specific trade names. For help understanding the various trade names, review the detailed article outlining how several popular TV brands go about enabling CEC.

Regards,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.