Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JenSten
Reel Rookie

Remote not working stuck on home screen

• I tried exactly the steps you gave Eunice and my remote will not pair. I am able to turn my TV on and off with the remote as well as use the volume keys and get to Home Screen but that is it. I am not able to navigate the Home Screen. This is super frustrating as this remote was purchased 6 months ago. 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
IslandGirl242
Reel Rookie

Re: Remote not working stuck on home screen

My remote won't pair and after bouncing Roku I don't get Home Screen.  It immediately goes to black screen with HDMI box at top left and No Signal box in center.

I have tried to follow pairing instructions into no avail.

0 Kudos
IslandGirl242
Reel Rookie

Hi, I am having similar issue with remote only controlling TV but after rebooting little Roku box (Express?), "Roku" bounces around for quite a while then goes away... no Home Screen.

I've tried removing batteries, unplugging everything, then after reconnecting, reinstalling batteries, pressing remote pairing button while Roku is on screen etc.  It does nothing... bouncing Roku just goes away after some time.

Tried replacing batteries, etc.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@IslandGirl242, if your Roku device doesn't boot all the way to the Home Screen, it has nothing to do with your remote.  If you're using the TV's USB port to power it, try using the supplied USB power adapter if your model came with one.  If it didn't, try a USB power adapter/charger from a phone or tablet plugged into the wall.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mrm3

Yay! It worked. Thank You!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @JenSten!

We appreciate the steps you've taken to try pairing your Roku remote with your Roku device. No worries! We're here to suggest further troubleshooting steps.

Before we proceed, kindly provide us with additional information such as follows:

• What model is the Roku device this remote was paired to? 
  • Is this the remote that came with it? If not, what specific remote is this? This support article may help you identify your Roku remote
  • When did you first start having this issue?

In the meantime, we highly suggest the following steps to help you troubleshoot your Roku remote further:

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling the batteries.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

If your voice remote has a rechargeable battery, follow the steps below below to reboot your remote.

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds. 

For reference, here's the support article: How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working

Keep us posted on how it goes, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
IslandGirl242
Reel Rookie

Doesn't work!

0 Kudos
IslandGirl242
Reel Rookie

Yeah, I gave up long ago.  Nothing that they tell you to try works!

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @IslandGirl242.

We acknowledge your feedback. Rest assured that we will help you find the best resolution possible.

Firstly, we appreciate you trying to perform all the possible troubleshooting steps suggested. Kindly provide us with additional information such as follows:

• Serial number of the Roku Express this remote was paired to:
  • Is this the remote that came with your Roku device? If not, what specific Roku remote is this? This support article will help you identify your remote.
  • When and where did you purchase this?

In the meantime, you may install the Roku mobile app as an alternative to your physical remote. This free application for iOS® and Android™ devices turns your mobile device into a control center for your Roku streaming player or Roku TV™ system. The Remote feature of the mobile app allows you to use your phone or tablet as a Roku remote.

You may refer to this support article dedicated to How to use the Roku mobile app as a remote.

Your response is highly anticipated.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JenSten
Reel Rookie

Hi RokuCarly,

I followed your suggestion and actually used brand new batteries. The green light keeps flashing. So I’m guessing it’s not pairing??

I have the remote right by the TV and am using brand new batteries.

To answer your questions: My TV is a Vizio and my Roku is a streaming stick with voice remote and as I mentioned it was just purchased 6 months ago. I first noticed the problem 2 days ago.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.