Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

Re: Remote drains batteries in a matter of days

I appreciate your suggestion to to remove the batteries. However I have a rubber protection device around all my remotes and they are very hard to put back on. These are kind of like insurance to help protect the electronics should others drop it on the floor. See the link below

Remote Cover for Roku... Roku remote cover 

• I'm only having this issue with this one model Roku remote draining the batteries. Other Roku remotes have no issue. And I just purchased this new unit (streaming device and remote) in November.

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@BipolarGirl48  What is the current mAh rating on these batteries?  (I assume AAA), the last ones I purchased were 900 mAh, several years ago.

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@Media_Guy   I just use plastic bags ziplock or otherwise to keep dust, & potential skin oils off. 

0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

These are not rechargeable batteries these are standard alkaline. I've tried both Duracell and Rayovac High Energy. If there is a FAQ posted by Roku support as to the suggested type of batteries please inform me. I've yet to locate.

As to putting a plastic bag over the remote, not certain how that would go over with my significant other who is the primary user of the device. The current rubber protection device I purchased from Amazon Does the job other than when pulling it off to put a new batteries it is a royal pain.

0 Kudos
Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@Media_Guy  I was referring to mAH ratings on rechargeable AAA's that @BipolarGirl48 is using.  I have 900 mAH NiMH AAA's that will only work for a couple key presses before dying, but they had been sitting for several years.   

I found the Roku Remote just takes the top end of the battery before it becomes useless in the remote.  Test these after you remove them from the remote, & chances are they will test good for use in a different device.  I have a pile of "good" batteries now that won't work in the Roku Remote, yet good in the little LED flashlights or other remotes.... too bad I don't have that many AAA devices.

Gee, maybe you should get a divorce.  Bags or plastic wrap do a great job, my remotes stay like new, legends don't wear off the keys.

0 Kudos
ChasWms
Channel Surfer

This worked for me:

I purchased a Roku Voice Remote on November 29, 2023 and after discovering the battery drain problem, I Googled & pored thru the Roku forums. On March 20, 2024, I went to https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options and selected my Roku TV, at which point a Roku support chat window was opened.

I advised the rep that I prefer Roku to other streaming devices, but the expense & bother of battery drains were so intolerable, that I was considering a FireTV stick and I would stop patronizing Roku's advertisers. I then asked to receive a Voice Remote Pro in place of the Voice Remote. The rep checked with their supervisor and said they would send me the Pro. Less than a week later, I received the Voice Remote Pro via the USPS.

Per some of the comments in the forums, it remains to be seen how fast this remote drains & how often it can be recharged, but I believe it will still be better than the battery issue.

Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

I just utilized what you said and I am being shipped a new remote. You are the very first one to provide me that method on this forum.

I did call Roku and they did not offer a replacement.

0 Kudos
Djs123

I am having the exact same issue with my RC833 remote for my Roku Express 4k. Dies every week. I have re-paired and followed all the steps listed above. Please advise.

0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

I did not receive any good information from Roku support so I did the following. I clicked on this site and clicked on the remote controls icon and the unit that I had registered with Roku that I purchased at Best buy.  I selected the chat option with a support person who said they would replace and send me a remote. Hopefully I get the remote in the next five business days I did these steps this past Saturday. https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Djs123!

Thank you for letting us know about this and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused your streaming. 

Kindly meet us through Private Message for further assistance. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos