Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgegenhe
Reel Rookie

Remote drains batteries in a matter of days

4k stick plugged into dedicated, continuous USB power supply.  The remote chews through batteries even with minimal use.  This last instance, I loaded in brand new batteries before leaving town for 10 days.  The device was not used at all, and yet the batteries were fully drained upon return.  Searching online, this has been an issue for thousands of people for years running.  What is the fix and why hasn't there been a recall?

I see in another forum that Roku is advising people whose device is no longer under warranty that they need to purchase new - sorry, no, that's unlawful on Roku's part given that this is a known problem.

Frustrated.

Labels (1)
36 REPLIES 36
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Remote drains batteries in a matter of days

Roku has known about their remotes being battery killers for years, they've literally done nothing. When you complain about these things eventually a useless Roku moderator will come along and copy and paste troubleshooting steps that never work. They will tell you to restart your device, repair your remote, put in new batteries, basically all common sense stuff you try first before even coming here to complain.

Then once you report back that you have tried those things and they don't work the Roku moderator will respond with useless questions like asking you to provide the serial number of your device, software version, all which have nothing to do with the issue.

So you comply and give them what they want and then nothing happens, sometimes you can get them to send you a replacement remote for free, but the replacement has the same problem as the original remote you came here to complain about.

Then the cycle repeats with the next person who has a remote problem and it goes on and on for years. Roku won't actually fix the problem because they are either too stupid to know how, or they just don't care and think it's not worth the money to redesign remotes that actually work.

Even the rechargeable battery version is full of problems, mine has never fully charged to 100% ever since I got it brand new and the charge dissipates very quickly with minimal remote useage.

Bottom line is the Roku remotes are a flawed design, everybody knows it including Roku and they will not fix it. It says a lot about the company!

It's probably best to look for alternative devices at this point because this will never change with the way Roku operates. There is no true customer support here, just the illusion of it with moderators who parrot the same script lines of steps that don't work again and again, it's very sad and pathetic.

jgegenhe
Reel Rookie

That's certainly no good.

If that is the case, then the right approach is to the CEO, CFO, CTO, COO and the Board.  I'll write them.

Bismarck318
Roku Guru

@jgegenhe  This issue seems to be on & off for me over the past several years with the sticks, I've actually had a set of new batteries drain once with very little use.

If you test these batteries, are they really depleted much? 

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jgegenhe,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for raising this problem with us!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with this issue that you're having with the Roku remote. If the remote is not properly paired with the Roku device, it will drain the batteries in a few days. Please try the steps below.

Put your streaming device in pairing mode.

1. Remove the power cable from your streaming device.
  2. Wait at least 5 seconds.
  3. Re-connect the power cable.
  4. Wait for your streaming device to power on and the Home screen to appear on your TV screen.
  5. Within 30 seconds of seeing the Home screen on your TV screen, put your voice remote into pairing mode.

Put your voice remote in pairing mode.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your voice remote.
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment.
  3. Wait 5 seconds, and then reinsert the batteries.
  4. If your remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  5. If your remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold both the Home button and Back button for 5 seconds, or until you see the status light begin to flash.
  6. If the status light does not flash, try replacing the batteries.
  7. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your streaming device.

Once your streaming device and remote are connected, the pairing dialog will appear on your TV screen.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.

Best regards,                                                                                                                                        John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

I don't know this the case with all Roku remotes but it definitely is the case with the RC 833 model I barely get two weeks with that remote before I have to put new batteries in. My older remote RC EL3 last for months.

Yes what are the emails of these big wigs of Roku corporation? Let's create a petition which we all sign and send them.

Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

Thanks for sharing those steps I performed them and have marked on my calendar to remind myself to give you an update 14 days from now.

0 Kudos
Media_Guy
Binge Watcher

I perform the remote reset process on Wednesday March 6th 2024 early afternoon as well installed fresh batteries. Today I checked battery percentage at 10:00 a.m. EST March 9th 2024. The percentage is 85%. If forecasting the 10th day at 6% per day for battery usage - then on the 10th day battery percentage would be around 40% leaving 7 days of battery life. Are there higher grade AAA batteries that I should be using to get more than 3 weeks usage? My older Roku ultra x remote last three or more months. However those are AA batteries.

0 Kudos
DrD69

Rechargeable ROKU remote simply stopped charging. Strangely, at one moment it says "fully charged" on the screen, then 2 or 3 minutes later it shows empty charge. Have turned off Roku unit for 3 minutes, turned it back on, it is paired with my smart TV. I have used multiple cables, USB AC chargers that indeed charge my tablet and other devices, but to no lasting success on the ROKU remote.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DrD69,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for flagging this problem!

We will be delighted to assist you further. Please try the steps that we have provided above and see if that will fix the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos