Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pronator
Channel Surfer

Remote design - did anybody actually want a rechargeable remote?

With my new Roku Ultra came a new Voice Remote Pro with built-in rechargeable battery - "No more swapping batteries"!  But to my mind it's simpler and faster to swap in 2 spare rechargeable AA batteries than it is to get the USB micro-B charger from the other room and then be without a remote while it charges.

15 REPLIES 15
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Remote design - did anybody actually want a rechargeable remote?

First, I think I do agree, which is why I only have remotes with removable batteries.  So, if you don’t like it, the other Roku remotes (and third-party remotes) can be used.

But as for making the best of what you have now: Maybe keep the charger in the same room?  And can it work while charging?  If so, maybe get a long cable?

Banned but back. Because why not?
pronator
Channel Surfer

Good suggestions, I mostly wanted to rant.  The other Roku remotes do not have voice or a headphone jack, and I use both of those on occasion.  Do you have a favorite replacement remote?  I do love my Harmony remotes, but Logitech stopped making them.

Strega2
Roku Guru

I’ve never used a headphone jack so I can’t comment on that. But I have the (non-rechargeable) voice remote and the simple remote and both work well, (though I think both lack that jack.)  I still see Harmony remotes for sale.  Although it wouldn’t surprise me if they cost more now, because people are always trying to profit by something going out of production. Then again, does the Harmony do the headphone trick?

There are some wireless headphone devices that connect to a TV’s audio outputs.  Many of these use rechargeable batteries, but for occasional use, that might be OK.

Have you tried the Roku app?  I think??? you can do private listening through the phone???   Anyway, it’s free to find out!  Of course, the phone is rechargeable too, but most people are used to dealing with that one.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
dai69
Reel Rookie

I can't find a replacement Roku remote with voice and earphone jack that is not rechargeable.  That is a BIG BUMMER.  I keep an AA battery recharger plugged in a wall outlet of the theater room.  When Roku's 3 percent battery remaining warning comes on the TV screen, it takes me 10 seconds to swap out the AA batteries and I'm back to ops normal.  No way do I want a rechargeable remote that is inconvenient as heck.  And I use the earphone jack everyday with headphones.

Not making a Roku remote replacement with voice control and an earphone jack that is not rechargeable is a crime in my opinion.

If anyone knows where I can find what I'm looking for, I'm all ears.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Roku used to make remotes that had the voice microphone button and also a headphone jack that took two regular double A batteries. I got one of those with my Roku Ultra 4660 that I purchased back in 2017. It is called a Gaming Remote when you pair it to your Roku. It has the volume controls on the right side but no Mute button and it had an A and a B button on the bottom for gaming.

They also made another similar remote that was called Enhanced Voice Remote when you pair it to your Roku. I got one of those sent to me as a replacement by Roku I think in 2020. It also takes two Double A batteries and has the headphone jack. But this one is better because it came with a Mute button along with the volume controls and also a programmable 1 and 2 button on the bottom instead of the gaming A and B buttons.

Apparently Roku doesn't sell these anymore, I don't know why because they were a lot more reliable than the standard voice remotes they make now which take triple A batteries and no longer have the headphone jack. You might be able to find some of these older remotes being sold on ebay or Amazon from sellers who still have them, but they are discontinued by Roku and you can only order the modern ones from the Roku website unfortunately.

dai69
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your reply Emissary.  You provided some really good information, but in the end I'm up the creek without a paddle since no new replacement remotes with the old remote's features are being made anymore.  If I am unable to find the replacement remote I need, I'll buy a couple of the low end replacement remotes on that women warrior from Brazil website for $8 for a pair of them.  Then cannibalize one to get some parts to put in my OEM remote.  It is the blue X cross control with the "OK" in the center that is fading, very unreliable.  I'll try to remove and replace those parts.  On a website I see the specs for each remote's control button must have a lifetime of a minimum of 3000 clicks.  Mine has probably had more than ten times that for the left / right controls.  It would be nice to post whether I'm successful or not in that endeavor.  50 / 50 chance I'll do that.  Enjoy the coming summer !

0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

Honestly, I don't get the issue. But then, I've spent the last 25 years adapting to the leaps and bounds in available household tech advancements. Why would you not want a rechargable remote that you can just plug in for a few minutes, and use while it's charging, rather than throw out toxic batteries and keep buying more toxic batteries? I get that you have a charger across the room. Why isn't it next you where you sit?

I don't know man. I have a power strip right next to me with USB ports right on it, with various types and lengths of cords to charge whatever I please, right here next to me at arms length. Every single rechargeable thing I own can be plugged in right next to my recliner. How much more lazy can I get?🤣

If my remote batteries have to be changed I actually have to get out of my chair and walk across the room to replace them!!!!! 😱

So anyway, to answer you're initial question: "did anybody actually want a rechargeable remote?" My answer is YES BY GOD, YES!!!!! I'M FLIPPING SICK TO DEATH OF BUYING BATTERIES!!!!!

🤣😅

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
MrXxx
Roku Guru

By the way, in response to the suggestion to use replacement (or universal) remotes:

I've tried that, but so far have found one seriously important lack in doing so, and that is that Roku remotes possess one button that I have not seen on ANY universal remote so far. And that is the bugger of a button, THE BACK BUTTON. 

The back button is so important to the operation of a smart TV that the lack of it on a universal remote makes using the Roku remote pretty much mandatory.

If anyone knows of a uni remote that has this button, let me know.

onn Roku 43" TV model 100012584 running version 12.0.0
Twenty plus years of online experience as a web developer, general user and consumer. Recording engineer. Sixty plus years of troubleshooting and problem solving in several fields. Here to help and get help when I have issues with Roku. Nothing more. Not here to socialize. That's what real life is for. 😉
0 Kudos
pronator
Channel Surfer

> YES BY GOD, YES!!!!! I'M FLIPPING SICK TO DEATH OF BUYING BATTERIES!!!!!

Great line @MrXxx but not a good argument 🙂  Like @dai69 I keep a stash of rechargeable AAs close at hand.  These are inexpensive, widely available, and can be swapped at a moment's notice without running a cord to my couch.  We all adapt, but not all changes are advancements.