Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itorres008
Channel Surfer

Looking for Windows Remote Control App that directs audio to PC to listen privately on headphones

Hello, folks.

The Android Roku remote control App allows private listening by directing the TV audio to the phone for listening with headphones. In short, I want to do that on the PC.

I always have the PC headphones on for using phone and listening to other audio. I don't want to have to switch headphones between the the phone and the PC all the time.

I see Roku Remote Control app for Windows existed, but has been discontinued - although all over the web it's still being recommended.😔

Did it have a private listening option?

I found a free RRemote app for Windows that does do Remote Control, but it has no Private Listening function.

Is there an App for Windows out there that has private listening functionality?

Does anyone know of any app or way to direct the audio to the PC wirelessly? It's inconvenient to use cables for connecting audio out to a laptop. Also, I guess it must be a Roku specific app so it mutes the TV speakers when the sound goes to the PC.

Thanks for the help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
kclantern1984
Binge Watcher

Re: Looking for Windows Remote Control App that directs audio to PC to listen privately on headphone

As far as I can tell, no such beast exists, though I want one too. Roku needs to get off their ass and make this an option.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Looking for Windows Remote Control App that directs audio to PC to listen privately on headphone

Roku used to offer a control app in the Microsoft store, but it was removed a number of years ago. There are a couple of apps in the store that claim to be able to control a Roku, but I have no idea if any of them support pulling the audio into the computer. 

The only apps I am aware of that will do that are the Android and iOS apps in their respective app stores. They work on both phones and tablets, but I don't know of any way they can be used from a PC unless there is some sort of iOS or Android emulator that will work on your PC. I've never looked into something like that, but a quick web search appears to show they do exist.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
kclantern1984
Binge Watcher

@atc98092I know the app does work with LDPlayer, but that emulator is very resource intensive and won't let me run anything else outside the emulator while it's running.

atc98092

Yeah, emulators are not usually a very efficient way to run something. I would suggest finding an inexpensive Android tablet (I don't think there's any such thing as an inexpensive iPad!) and use that for private listening. Even an old Android phone that isn't activated on a cell network would work as well. I'm just listing what might be the simplest way to have private listening without getting into more complicated setups. 

Dan

itorres008
Channel Surfer

Thanks.
I can do private listening on my Android phone and it works well, but the main point is I want to do that on the PC. I want to have only one headset and be able to listen to PC sounds, phone calls, video/audio calls use voice recognition for apps, etc.

Another solution would be getting a small audio mixer and plug in audio output from phone and PC and have them on one headset w mic connected to PC. Or one could probably do that with an external audio interface with audio in and connect the PC to that, if one can mute the speakers independent of the audio out. A software solution for PC, similar to the phone remote would not need the trouble of devices and cables and would be more simple.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@itorres008 @kclantern1984 @atc98092 --

Bringing this old thread back to life.

There now is a MIcrosoft app called Link to Windows.   When installed and running on both a Windows computer and an Android or iOS device you can view and operate your mobile device via the PC.  This means you can run the Roku remote app on your Windows computer.  There is an option to listen to your mobile device's audio on the PC as well.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Interesting. I do see it in the iTunes store. I also see that it requires Windows 11, which I only have on two of my many computers. Overall ratings in iTunes are only average, but it apparently overall does work. I might give it a try just to see how it works. 

Dan

0 Kudos
kclantern1984
Binge Watcher

@makaiguyThis option only works if you have a Samsung phone. If you use a Nokia phone -like I do- Phone Link only lets you check your text messages, and nothing else.

I have taken to using scrcpy. It doesn't use many resources on the computer, because the phone is doing most of the work.

0 Kudos
itorres008
Channel Surfer

This could be an option. I hadn't considered it, probably because I use Phone Link for years now and I can't control the phone with it. Apparently it has to be supported by the phone, I read somewhere.
I have a Samsung A21S that has enough RAM, storage, etc but is not one of the latest models. Have to keep this in mind if/when I upgrade.
Thanks.

0 Kudos