Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heyzumiie

Remote control issues, Roku tv controlling wrong device

I live in an apartment. My neighbors must have got a Roku tv. Well now they’re controlling the tvs in my house . What can I do so that there controller can’t control my tvs . We have the app. So use that but they can still use the actual remote to control it . They’re constantly messing with the tv Turing it on then off probably trying to turn there tv on but they’re turning mine on instead. What can I do please help. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
farrier
Channel Surfer

Re: Remote control issues, Roku tv controlling wrong device

At roku.com, log in and review your devices in the account section.

There, you can unlink any devices that may be used maliciously.

Then change your password.

Please let me know if you keep experiencing the problem and I will help as much as I can!

Cheers,
Farrier
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote control issues, Roku tv controlling wrong device

It is impossible for one Roku remote to control a Roku TV in another apartment unless the remote has a direct line of sight to the TV in question. IR will not pass through walls, and most Roku TVs come standard with an IR remote. And a WiFi Direct remote must specifically be paired with a device to be able to control it. That can't be done without being in front of the TV. It sounds more like someone has gotten into your WiFi and is using a Roku app on a phone or tablet to control your TV. 

My first suggestion is to change the password on your WiFi, then reboot it, so anyone that has snuck into your network gets locked out. That means you have to reconnect all of your devices, but it would ensure no one has gotten access to your home network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.