Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimCockfield
Binge Watcher

Re: Remote buttons acting stuck

Tried solutions to no avail.   My Voice Remote still has the same issue with what appears to be sticking keys.

For example, pressing an arrow key while browsing videos in YouTube may result in scrolling through videos rapidly, even after remote keys are released (no longer in being pressed).

I'm starting to suspect a defective remote vs a software issue, even though this remote and device were shipped directly from Roku.

I'll update this thread if anything changes.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@JimCockfield

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JimCockfield
Binge Watcher

Hey Danny

I just noticed your reply after reviewing this thread again since my remote started sticking more and became very annoying last night (much more compared to when it was new).

Thankfully, i's been behaving so far today. Here is the info about the device:

Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+ (with voice remote)

Serial number: X01600E2HOMK

Someone is here now to get a new Roku Ultra hooked up for me, along with other tasks like repositioning speakers to work best with Dolby ATMOS content, since the new Roku Ultra is supposed to support ATMOS. 

I almost bought a new TV with Roku built in.  But, after some thought, I bought a new TV with Google TV (based on Android) instead.  That has allowed me to use ATMOS since the Roku Express 4K+ didn't support it.   Grrrr

The reason I bought that Roku is for use with this 4K TV (it's replacing an older 1080p model).  Grrr. Wasted money since I need to replace it so soon for better sound support. 

Unfortunately, the Roku Ultra doesn't use a USB connection for power like other Roku models we've had.  So, we're going to try and  "fish' the power cable from the transformer that powers this Roku behind the wall that the TV and Roku will be mounted on.

Frankly, I'm both surprised and disappointed that the Ultra model can't be powered via a USB connection like my other Roku devices.  Heck, I've got several modern laptops that can be powered and recharged via USB.  But not this new Roku.

Over the years, technology advances have allowed for smaller and smaller microprocessors that use less and less power. Yet, my new Roku can't be powered from a USB connection.  Grrr

Anyway, thanks for replying.  Note that I plan on moving the Roku 3941x to a bedroom. So if it's remote didn't like to stick, it would be better 

Fingers crossed that the new remote included with the new Roku Ultra won't have this problem, too.  I'll find out later today after we finish installing it (again, more work since doesn't use USB for power). 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@JimCockfield, you should note that people using a TV's USB port to power their Roku device often have more problems than had they just used the supplied power adapter.  Many TVs don't have 1A USB ports (and if you don't know what that means, you shouldn't be using your TV's USB port to power your Roku device) and most probably don't even specify how much current they can supply.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
JimCockfield
Binge Watcher

We've got the new Roku Ultra installed. The new remote included with it is not sticking (yet) either.  But, it's got other problems.  For example, it's only showing 35% battery level, even though it was charged overnight last night.

The remote is a minor issue though.  There are no words to describe my frustration and anger regarding my new Roku Ultra.

After I've taken some time to cool off, I'll try to start another thread about it.  Or, perhaps find existing threads about it's issues.  

Frankly, I am shocked at how poorly the app developers implemented support for Dolby ATMOS with it.  Basically, whenever a new streaming video using ATMOS is started, the Roku Ultra displays the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision labels momentarily.  This is for about 1 second, although it seems longer.

That's very annoying when enjoying YouTube and similar videos, since many new videos and advertisements (video commercials) are using ATMOS.   I'm surprised at how popular ATMOS is now.

But, even though the constant "pop up' Dolby logos splashed on the screens of videos by Roku are annoying, the worse part is that the audio is muted at the same time the Dolby logos are displayed.

So, not only do you see Dolby ATMOS logos splashed on the screen of each new video using ATMOS, you get to watch people talking or singing with no sound for about a second each time a video with ATMOS starts. 

Any lip readers?  Audio is muted while the ATMOS logo is displayed in the corner of each new video using ATMOS.

I am shocked at Roku's ATMOS implementation.

The only reasonable course of action that I see at this point is to replace the new Roku Ultra with the older Roku 4k+ Express.  I won't have Dolby ATMOS that way, and my entire new system was designed with ATMOS support in mind.  The TV, expensive Nakamichi Soundbar, etc.  . 

But it with the older Roku, at least volume won't be muted at the start of each new video with ATMOS.

Then, when I want to do enjoy better sound with videos supporting ATMOS, I'll use the TV for decoding content on via the built in Google TV interface.

It's too bad that I can't use the Roku Ultra for more content.  But, the extraordinarily poor implementation of Dolby ATMOS support prevents me to from continuing to use it.

0 Kudos
waxnoxious
Reel Rookie

Bought a brand new Roku and it has this same problem. I find that if you point the remote at the Roku sensor and push the button, then cover the remote sensor right away, I have had good results. Interesting that it goes against the "two signals" theory.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @waxnoxious

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. This can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. We'll be able to further assist you from there.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
waxnoxious
Reel Rookie

X01600N4J2M9

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@waxnoxious

Thanks for the reply.

I have passed your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they will be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kuhnie

We've had our roku tcl tv for a few weeks now and this problem started to occur.

It happens with the remote that came with the TV, and the Comcast flex Remote we had from before this TV (we synced it to this TV because we're still logged in to some services on it).

The problem does not seem to occur on the Android app version of the remote.

0 Kudos