Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Traci70

Remote batteries dead after 2 weeks

My remote batteries are dead after 2 weeks of normal use. I only use it to watch two shows during the week and the news 3 times a week so they should last longer than two weeks. Batteries are too expensive to have to change so often. 

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
ROkooFlix
Streaming Star

Re: Remote batteries dead after 2 weeks

If your remote has a built in mic, turn the switch for it off and use the mic button instead so it isn’t an always active battery drain. If you are plugging headphones in to the remote listen, driving them from the remote will decrease battery life.  

Member Since ‎07-09-2008
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Welcome to the Roku Community, @Traci70!

We appreciate you reaching out for support and we'd be happy to help you find the best resolution for this.

Before proceeding, kindly provide us with additional information such as follows:

• What specific Roku device is this remote currently paired to?
  • Is this the remote that came with this device? If not, what is the model of this remote?
  • When did you start experiencing this issue from happening?

Once we have this information, we'll be able to assess your concern better and provide the most accurate resolution.

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@ROkooFlix 

Battery drain issues are well known with these terribly designed remotes. I have experienced it many times over the years and I never have headphones plugged in or have the hands free voice turned on. To assume it's one or both of those things only causing the battery drain is completely wrong. These remotes drain power from the batteries even if you unplug your Roku and aren't use it at all.

The solution I found is to take the batteries out and put them back in when you are ready to use your Roku again. I've abandoned the rechargeable voice remotes because they are so much worse. Roku needs to completely redesign these terrible remotes.

0 Kudos
ROkooFlix
Streaming Star

Good for you finding a solution to your remote problem. 

We’re Roku users since their very first Netflix streaming box. None of our Roku remotes have experienced a rapid battery drain issue, quite the opposite actually, so it’s curious that you indicate a well known issue. The suggestions were intended to help point out things that would cause a more rapid battery drain. The opening post didn’t provide a whole lot of detail.

Member Since ‎07-09-2008
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @ROkooFlix.

Thank you for sharing your input. We'd be happy to provide further information about this issue.

Roku remotes are designed to last, but a few things will drain a remote a bit faster.
  • Heavy usage of private listening on the remote itself--using the mobile app will save your batteries!
  • Congested Wi-Fi network around the device--the reason for this is that most remotes will use RF to connect to your Roku player and constant reconnection will use more battery.
  • Or viewing lots of short-form content, like YouTube, where a streamer could go through a few hundred button presses in an hour.

By the way, we also offer the Voice Remote Pro and Voice Remote Pro 2nd edition, which is a rechargeable remote with private listening, voice search, and voice commands, two programmable shortcut buttons, lost remote finder, and you'll never buy a pack of batteries again.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ROkooFlix
Streaming Star

Hi @RokuCarly 

I haven't experienced any Roku Remote rapid battery drain with any of our Roku devices even going back to the first Roku stream box.

I was only offering suggestions to the original message posted in this thread of potential things that might help in reducing their rapid battery drain issue in whatever Roku Remote they are experiencing the issue with. 

Member Since ‎07-09-2008
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @ROkooFlix.

Thank you for the clarifications. 

We highly appreciate the suggestions you shared that might help users who are experiencing this issue. Feel free to reach out if you need help with anything. 

I hope you continue to have a Happy Streaming! 💜

Regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.