Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eclipso13
Channel Surfer

Random lost remote signal

I am having the same issue. Some days it goes off only once. Some days, it goes off every 15-30 minutes. We have to pick which video we want to watch then pull the batteries. I keep searching this forum for an answer. I never seem to find one.

As I was typing this, the remote finder notification came up on the TV screen. The batteries are currently NOT in the remote. This is not a remote issue. It is a unit issue and one that has been known for many months.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Random lost remote signal

Hi @eclipso13,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We understand and appreciate you reaching out to us about this remote issue, and we'd like to help. 

When did you start seeing this? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? Have you tried any troubleshooting, and what didn't work?

Share with us more information about this so that we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
eclipso13
Channel Surfer

The issue started about two weeks ago. I have tried replacing batteries, rebooting the unit, and leaving batteries out of the remote. None of those worked. I was unable to shut off the remote finder option in the settings. I checked all buttons on the remote to make sure none were sticking. I tried re-synching the remote to the unit.

As I stated earlier, the remote finder box will show up on the screen even when no batteries are in the remote. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when the unit tries to activate the remote finder. One day it may only happen a couple of times. Another, such as last night, it may happen continuously back-to-back for an hour (even after taking the batteries out of the remote) and then just stop.

The unit is running software version 12.5.0 build 4178-C2. it is a model 4800X - Roku Ultra. When I run the check for update, it comes back current.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@eclipso13, have you checked the button on the side of the Ultra?  Maybe it's stuck or pressed up against something.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
eclipso13
Channel Surfer

Apologies for the delay in replying. I wanted to give this plenty of time to make sure it worked.

I checked the button on the side. It was not pushed in. HOWEVER, a strap for the mounting bracket was about a mm from the button. Just on the off-chance it was close enough to have slowly impinged on the button after a couple of years, I moved the strap about 1/4" away. After 24 hours of no one taking the batteries out of the remote, that seems to have solved the issue. If not, I'll reply back.

Since I did not see the bracket mentioned before, please keep this up so others can see it. If you have the mounting bracket to attach to the TV, and you are having the remote finder activate at random, check the strap that holds the Ultra in the bracket. Even if it is not on the button but adjacent to it, try moving the strap away from the button a bit. It looks like over time, physics may take effect and the pressure from the strap could press the plastic in on the button slightly.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.