Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaybee1
Channel Surfer

Quick launch button stopped quick launching on Roku Pro V2 remote

Jump to solution

Roku Ultra paired with the newest version of the Roku Voice Pro remote (V2).  I had an app programmed to launch when pressed that worked fine until yesterday when OS13 finally updated on my Ultra.  Now, it reset the quick launch button. I set it back up for the app of choice, however, it does not launch the app and instead launches the quick launch menu where I have to then click on the app to launch it.  Kinda defeats the purpose of quick launch, right?  Can Roku please check to see if this is a bug with the OS13?  I restarted the Ultra to no avail.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chaybee1
Channel Surfer

Re: Quick launch button stopped quick launching on Roku Pro V2 remote

Jump to solution

This is not a solution, it's by design.  The issue is that it does NOT quick launch once assigned, rather, it pulls back up the Quick Launch overlay and then you have to click your assigned choice.   It completely negates any notion that it's a quick launch and, instead, it's just launching another menu.  Nothing "quick" about it.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @chaybee1,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Congratulations on your new Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition! 🚀 With this latest Roku feature: the Quick Launch rocket button, you can assign fast access to your favorite apps, settings, and voice commands.

For reference, this is how the new quick launch button will appear on TVs. The first two tiles represent the updated versions of personalized shortcuts. The added benefit is that you no longer have to memorize what the 1 and 2 buttons correspond to.

Prosper.jpg

To learn more about the Quick Launch feature, including which players support it, check out our helpful article here: Quick Launch Feature Article.

Your feedback is extremely important to us as we continuously work to enhance and improve your Roku experience. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback.

Happy streaming with your new Roku Voice Remote Pro 2nd Edition!

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chaybee1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is not a solution, it's by design.  The issue is that it does NOT quick launch once assigned, rather, it pulls back up the Quick Launch overlay and then you have to click your assigned choice.   It completely negates any notion that it's a quick launch and, instead, it's just launching another menu.  Nothing "quick" about it.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@chaybee1 

This behavior seems related to OS13.  

Just received a V2 remote from Roku and on my devices with 12.5, performs as expected. (opens the programmed channel/app directly).

On my device with 13.0, the submenu appears allowing user to either launch the programmed channel, the Roku Channel, or to perform a Search.

Kind of went from a "quick launch button" to a "menu shortcut" button.

----

The programming of the remote button is also a bit different between the two OS versions.  In 12.5 you can just hold down the quick launch on the desired channel/app.  In 13 you have to be on the Home Screen (and not on a channel/app) so that you can either select a channel/app or the ability to use some of the other features the quick launch allows for (ie. voice command, closed captioning, Roku Channel shortcuts, etc).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

chaybee1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Correct.  As stated in my post, this started happening with OS13.  It's starting to appear more and more like this is how the "quick launch button" is supposed to work with OS13, which is baffling because, as you said, it's more like just another button for a sub-menu.  Nothing "quick" about it as it takes the same button presses to click the home menu and click the app you want.  Also I noticed that if you've assigned two apps to it and are watching one them but want to switch to the other, you click the button, click the second app, then it prompts you with a "leave this app and launch this app?" option in which you have to click on that.  That's three clicks, again,  negating any "quick launch" functionality.  

Jump to solution

My feedback is this is a really bad change, which is on a growing list of really bad changes Roku has made recently (which is a rant in and of itself and goes too far off topic).

Appraiser

Quick launch button stopped quick launching on Roku Pro V2 remote

Jump to solution

Add me to the list.. the quick launch button worked well until it didn’t………I called and complained to a couple of different techs and all I accomplished was to get a new remote……..what does that tell me? It tells me two things, they don’t read the posts or they’d know there’s a problem here. Instead they send me another remote with the same issues. Wake up Roku

sandhuha

Roku remote pro quick launch button now forces Roku channel in the array

Jump to solution

I purchased the new version 2 of the Roku remote pro last month and the quick launch button was mapped to YouTube tv. It worked great up until this past week and now it forces a choice to select that or the Roku channel or search. Does anyone know if there's a way to remove those other two options so it just actually does quick launch to YouTube tv?

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Appraiser!

We appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. We'd like to look closely into the functionality of the Quick Launch shortcut button on your Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd Edition) and determine the cause. 

Please provide us with more details about the issue you're referring to so we can better assess your concern and provide you with the most accurate resolution. Also, when exactly did this happen?

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
chaybee1
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku remote pro quick launch button now forces Roku channel in the array

Jump to solution

Nope.  Apparently Roku thought is was a good idea to change the quick launch to open up a sub-menu where you can assign two different options. Baffling decision that negates the idea of anything being quick.  

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.