Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chazz
Reel Rookie

New Roku Voice Remote will not stay paired

On 4/23/2022 I received a new Roku Voice Remote direct from Roku (from the My Offers page).  The new remote will not stay paired with my Roku Ultra.  I paired it with my Roku and it would work fine for a short time, voice button works, etc.  I can cover the Infrared front and it still controls the Roku. But shortly after pairing, the point anywhere "true pairing" function no longer works, voice button doesn't work, etc.  Then I can only use the remote if the infrared transmitter on the remote is pointing directly at the Roku.  According to the inside of the remote battery section, it is Model: RC-FA1.  The Roku is an Ultra 4640X with software 11.0.0 build 4180-29.  I just paired it at 4/25/2022 11:37 AM and by 11:47 AM it had stopped functioning.  So I'm barely getting 10 minutes of functional pairing. Batteries are brand new and currently at 88%  Also of interest, in the Roku Remote settings section, it shows the model as RC691, despite the inside of the battery compartment saying RC-FA1.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Roku Voice Remote will not stay paired

@chazz 

The model 4640 was in production from late 2016 to late 2017. There were a few issues at first with those, but they did straighten out before it was replaced by the 4660. I mention that because it's starting to age, and it could be that the device itself is having an issue. Of course, we'd need to rule out the new remote as the problem, as well as OS 11. So this may take some troubleshooting to narrow down the cause.

Let's start simple. Do you have a microSD card in the device? If so, remove it (don't ask, just try this). Does the issue go away?

Failing that, is this the only Roku device you have? Will the remote pair with another Roku device? If so, are their issues with it? And can the remote on the other Roku pair with the 4640 without issue?

And I'm going to tag @Tivoburkee who might have a suggestion.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
chazz
Reel Rookie

Re: New Roku Voice Remote will not stay paired

For the last 25 hours the remote has been stable.  I am not sure why it took 10 times to change it.  The one change I made to the "environment" was to forget the Gaming Remote that came with the Roku and remote the batteries from it.  Then the new Voice Remote was the only remote connected.  I re-paired the Gaming Remote one more time and it has been stable since then.  @DBDukes Thank you very much for stepping up with some great suggestions to isolate the problem.  If the issue recurs I will definitely start with those steps, but hopefully it is connected for good now.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.