Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyanRok
Reel Rookie

My remote keeps losing the ability to adjust volume

The remote on my Roku Express 4k frequently looses the ability to change the volume of my TV. If I re-setup the volume settings again, then it works for a short while. Or if I remove & reinstall the batteries it works again for a short while. If I replace the batteries with brand new ones then it works for a while. Or if I press the voice button on the remote, then the volume buttons will start working for a little while. I see in this forum that many other people are having this problem. Is there a fix yet? Please help.

The serial number for my Roku is X01600YKYVYG

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
djpatino1

Re: My remote keeps losing the ability to adjust volume

I am having the same trouble! Does anyone know the fix?

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @RyanRok and @djpatino1,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue you're running into.

Kindly try to perform the troubleshooting steps provided in this support article on how to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working.

If none of these works for you, please send us a PM here, as we may need personal data to resolve this issue.

Please keep us posted.

Sincerely,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. I have 2 different tv's. Different brands and models, but the Roku Voice Remotes stop controlling the volume on both of them. They are seperate remotes on different tv's and they both have stopped controlling the volume this weekend. I have reprogrammed the remotes to the tv's many times and it'll work for about 2 volume adjustments and stop again. I have read the articles on "fixing" the problem and have done everything they have said and the problem persist. It seems too much of a coincidence that 2 different brands of tv's started giving problems at the exact same time, so it leads me to believe that Roku has changed something. There is no update available for my boxes and they say the last time they updated was in May, but something happened this weekend. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, Community users!

Thanks for flagging this to us,

Let's troubleshoot this issue by performing a restart of your Roku streaming devices to see if it's able to fix this issue. Kindly navigate to Settings > System > Power (skip if not sub-menu) > System Restart. 

One additional step we recommend performing is a system update. To check for updates, go to Settings > System > System Update.

Let us know how it works.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RyanRok
Reel Rookie

@RokuTakashi doing those things does restore the volume functionality, but only for a short time.

Someone sent me instructions on how to get into the "secret" menu and update the firmware on the remote. That finally fixed the issue for good. That is the fix you should be telling all these people asking for help.

0 Kudos
Clexu
Reel Rookie

I am having the same referenced issue. I have tried the above mentioned options many times. They allow the volume to be adjusted again but only for anywhere between one volume change attempt up to maybe an hour of viewing. Many times after performing the requested action I’ll try to adjust the volume to test it and that single attempt is the only time it works unless I go back through the process to connect a remote again or perform a system restart.

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Clexu,

Greetings from the Roku Community and thanks for sharing your experience!

Could you tell us how long have you been using this remote? Is this the remote that came along with that device?

Let us know more about this so that we can further look into it.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Clexu
Reel Rookie

Hi, 

This is not the original remote.  I replaced the remote in April 2021 with remote model #RCAL7R. 

I have moved this Roku Devi to different tvs and different brand tvs and after awhile same issue occurs.  This has been going on for at least 10 months with the frequency increasing to now being a constant problem.

0 Kudos