Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sundial5924
Channel Surfer

Microphone on remote not working any more

I set up my roku streaming device on May 26, 2024.  A few days ago the microphone on the remote stopped working.  I followed the 4 steps on the support website (uninstall and reinsert existing batteries, reboot streaming device, put new batteries in remote after reboot, pair remote again to TV) to try to solve the issue and that did not work.  I reset my wifi to see if maybe the signal needed a boost.  Still a problem.  I speak into the remote with the microsoft button pushed down and I either get nothing or an orange circle that says something went wrong, try again.  It worked fine until a few days ago.  I tried it while on home screen and while in an app and it does the same thing.  

Is there anything else I can do with the Roku tv remote to get the microphone to work again? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Microphone on remote not working any more

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @sundial5924!

We appreciate you letting us know about the issues you've encountered with your Roku remote's voice command feature. We'd be happy to help you resolve this. 

Rest assured that we will coordinate this with our Support team for additional reinforcement. That said, I will contact you via Private Message to gather further personal details to proceed to the next step.

In the meantime, you may install the Roku mobile app as an alternative to your physical remote. This works well with your Roku Streaming Stick 4K, which has a voice command feature. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Drmwndr3

Soooooo my microphone option on the remote magically stopped working today. When it's pressed and held, an orange circle pops up and says something went wrong. I Also did all the "fixes" with no luck. The microphone remote has worked great until now. Did anyone ever get an answer to how to make it work again?

0 Kudos
sundial5924
Channel Surfer

If I use the smart phone app for the microphone feature does that cancel the pairing of the physical remote that came with the streaming device.  Also, using my phone implies battery use and I really did not want to take that option.

Please advise a solution to my problem.  It appears another user had posted the same problem as I on this post string.  Thank you.  

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @Drmwndr3 , @sundial5924,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about the non-functioning mic of your Roku Voice Remote and are pleased to assist you.

Remote issues are different based on the type of Roku remote. Before you begin troubleshooting, first determine which type of remote you use with your Roku streaming device: A Roku Voice remote, Roku Voice remote Pro, and Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)

• Is your Roku device up to date?
  • Does the remote pair to another Roku device?
  • Is it all or just the mic buttons that don’t work?
We would be more than happy to investigate further, but we will need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information:
  • Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

In the meantime, you can use the Roku mobile app to control your streaming device while you are troubleshooting your voice remote.

We look forward to working with you to help resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
sundial5924
Channel Surfer

Hello  RokuArjiemar, here are the answers to your questions in BOLD italized text.

Remote issues are different based on the type of Roku remote. Before you begin troubleshooting, first determine which type of remote you use with your Roku streaming device: A Roku Voice remote, Roku Voice remote Pro, and Roku Voice Remote Pro (2nd edition)

My remote is a Roku Voice remote.  I compared pictures of each of the three types with the one I have.  The only difference may be the order / position of the streaming service buttons (netflix, disney, appletv, discovery).

Is your Roku device up to date? I purchased it new on May 24, 2024.  Does the remote pair to another Roku device?  No, it is paired with a non smart Dynex TV (TV works great).  Is it all or just the mic buttons that don’t work? Only the microphone button is NOT working.  All other buttons work fine.  We would be more than happy to investigate further, but we will need further details. Can you please provide us with the following information: Roku device model (3820RW2), serial number (X02500MD7DJV) , device ID (SOJC342D7EJV), and software OS/version (13.1.4 build 1505-E6) (these can all be found in Settings > System > About) Does this issue occur on a specific channel? No, it is a problem with all channels, even at home.  if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button) Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

I have a picture of the tracker ID info, I've attached the photo to this reply.ROKU transaction id pix 6-29-2024.jpg
0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@sundial5924,

Thanks for the information,

We have passed your information to the appropriate Roku team so they can investigate further. Once more information is available, we will update this Community thread.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime. 

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.