Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Left arrow button causes a ROKU system restart with the 795 Roku remote

I opened up my brand new Roku ultra 4802X about May 15, 2024.  I own four Roku units and an I own four Roku units Including an Including a TCL Television.

I noticed I was having problems with the buttons on the remote device (which the Remote system Menu calls a 795). 
Primarily, when I’d hit the left arrow button to reverse (Go backwards) on a streaming video from a major channel (app) I would get the equivalent of the “power- system restart.” The screen would freeze, then black screen, Blue screen,  dancing Roku letters, blue screen, black screen, and then wallpaper and applications. 
I would have to find my previous programming, locate the exit spot and start playing again.

If I hit the reverse button on my remote again, I get the same system restart problem. 
I have four units.  I tried a different remote control, an RCB1r, and had no problems going backwards or forwards on my streaming video. So the problem seems to be that 795 Remote unit. Maybe the whole 795 series based on what I’ve read in Community  roku com.  The 917 reports appear to have battery or charging issues.  

When I called Tech Support, they ran me through the usual troubleshooting steps – pair the remote - check The software- System restart and go back to my programming. I hit the left arrow button and still had the same problem. The tech told me to call back in 15 minutes if a problem persists. I told him the problem has gone on for the last month. I don’t know what 15 more minutes will do. And I wondered if the 20 minutes I spent on hold counted toward the 15 minutes. (Time served).  But I figured the time on hold didn’t count.  So in about five more minutes, I will be running through the same exercises and being put on hold and not getting any different results from the remote, but I may get better results from a different tech.

If you have any ideas, I’d love to hear them. 
I’m considering buying remote Bluetooth speakers. I have a thought to get Roku speakers but now I am wondering if I should get a different companies speakers from Amazon if no other reason just to be on hold with a different companies Tech Support group.

Usually, I’m just called FranklinJ. But today you may call me “frustrated, FranklinJ.”

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Left arrow button causes a ROKU system restart with the 795 Roku remote

Hi, @FranklinJ 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand the issue you have encountered with your Roku remote, and we're here to assist you in addressing the issue at hand. For this matter, we'd like for you to perform a troubleshooting step to resolve the remote problem.

We recommend restarting the remote.

Follow these steps to reboot your remote:

• If your rechargeable voice remote has a pairing button, press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 20 seconds.
  • If your rechargeable voice remote does not have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons for 20 seconds.

When the status light stops flashing, your rechargeable voice remote has successfully rebooted.

For detailed instructions, refer to How to fix your Roku voice remote that is not working | Official Roku Support.

This should resolve the issue you are experiencing. If the problem persists, please reply, and we will assist you further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
FranklinJ
Streaming Star

Re: Left arrow button causes a ROKU system restart with the 795 Roku remote

Thank you for your direction. 
the resolution was replacement of remote. No problem now. 

thank you again for the thought and time you put into your suggestion. Kudos to you!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.