Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMonty
Binge Watcher

IR Stops working Intermittently.

Jump to solution

I have three of the Ultra streaming devices. This is my newest one (11/11/2022). Intermittently, but with increasing frequency, the IR transmitter (for TV on/off and volume) will stop working.  The Roku Box controls work just fine.  The original TV remote still works fine, and if I get one of my other Roku remotes, I can get it to work as well. I also have a means of testing the IR and when my remote isn't working, there is no IR signal even being sent from the remote, so it isn't a matter of needing to reprogram. It is a faulty circuit in the IR transmitter. Acts like a bad solder joint.

I've been trying to get real technical support on the Roku web site, but the person doesn't appear to know anything other than a few scripted responses which clearly indicates they are not understanding the problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: IR Stops working Intermittently.

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue you are experiencing.

We believe this has now been resolved. Please keep us posted if you are still experiencing the issue that was originally reported in this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

116 REPLIES 116
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@SMonty-

Yes, the symptoms as you've described them, do sound like a faulty intermittent connection in the IR circuitry.

Where are you located?  Rokus in the US have a one year warranty - not sure about other regions.  Hopefully Roku will be able to just send you a remote replacement without you having to return the Ultra.

Warranty claim instructions: https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

Meanwhile, as long as your Ultra is located in a visible location where an infrared signal can reach it, you can probably find an inexpensive universal IR remote locally that can control both Roku and TV.  Just be sure the remote can control Roku DEVICES (Roku TVs use a different IR code set).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
SMonty
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link.  I spent 45 minutes in a chat session and was told that they would send me an email with information and a prepaid return tag.  Still no email with any information whatsoever.

Maybe the link you sent will get me some action.  It's been very frustrating so far!

harpua
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issues. Noticed the same thing with IR not blasting intermittently.  I noticed this after the recent update (November possibly) also after a full recharge of the remote. Not sure if it could be related, but almost like the remote may "sleep" but the IR doesn't come back at times? 

arsagano
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue with IR and my remote, too.

Model: 4802X - Roku Ultra

Software version: 11.5.0 - build 4312-C2

I suspect the software update, as my issues began after 11.5 update.  I have tried all of the knowledge base article steps and other steps offered in threads on Roku's support site.  As of yet, none of it resolves my issue.

BAW
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Are these Voice Remote Pros?

I am having the same issue, Started about a week ago. Strangely, It started happening on two seperate TVs at the same time. The problem follows the remote. If I pair an older remote, No issue. Only the Voice remote pros (which come standard with the newer roku ultras).

I'm not using a roku ultra, but a streaming stick with both remote pros.

I think there is a firmware issue with the remotes. The odds of two having the exact same issue at the almost exact same timing leads me to belive it is not hardware.

BAW
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

If someone from Roku sees this, In addition to my above comments, here is some additional data:

remote firmware version: rtn.4186

Voice capture FW: en_US, 0024

Name: Voice Remote Pro

Model: RC701

I have 5 roku devices. Only happens with the voice remote pro. If you want me to test some scenarios to help nail this issue, let me know.

arsagano
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes the remote that came with the Ultra (which I use) is the voice pro.

BAW
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

OK, Just for experimentation (Sorry, I'm an engineer, I overthink everything).

I paired a regular voice remote (RC574 / FW: rtn.4186) along with the voice remote pro to the same streaming stick. so both remotes are paired. I even removed the voice remote pro, and re-paired it so it gets a fresh start.

The RC574 works flawlessly, and the RC701 continues to exhibit the almost random IR not working. It's definitely tied to that voice remote pro. I even went to do the same with my second voice remote pro. Same thing. 

@makaiguy- Please take my above posts into consideration when trying to reproduce the issue. I'd be willing to bet it's firmware on the RC701 remote.

I will be glad to provide additional information as needed.

arsagano
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I searched some boxes to see if we kept our old Roku remote and found it.  I added batteries and didn't pair it.  I checked and it worked on tv control without issues for several minutes.  I also paired it, and it worked without issues on both tv and Roku device for several minutes. 

Oddly enough, each time I used the old remote then tried the RC795 to control the tv, the RC795 would work for about 1 second before stopping again. I feel like it's looking more like it's specifically the remotes as @BAW was highlighting.

- Current remote

Model: RC795

Firmware version: rtn.4186

- Old remote

Model: RC399

Firmware version: rtn.4186

0 Kudos