Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seethroughme
Reel Rookie

How to pair a Non-Roku Remote

Jump to solution

I have an “old” remote from DIRECTV (RC73). I am not using a DIRECTV box any longer. I am streaming on a Philips Roku TV. Can I use this DIRECTV remote to control my new tv? When I go to settings on my tv, it only gives me the option to pair another Roku remote. I searched online for the answer, but nothing I found is for my exact situation. Does anyone know if I can use this remote on my tv and if so, how do I program it? I tried to make my question clear, I hope you can understand what I am needing. Thank you for your time and any help.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to pair a Non-Roku Remote

Jump to solution

The Roku tv settings will not give instructions on programming your 10-year-old or more Directv remote. If the rc73 were able to accept remote codes like the older larger white Directv remote, I could help you, but the rc73 remote only uses the Directv receiver on screen menu. Get a cheap universal remote, look for One-for-all urc-7935 streamer remote or the Onn 6 universal remotes on ebay. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

Seethroughme
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Tivoburkee. That was all I could find also, was on screen instructions using the genie box. I still have the remote that came with the tv. I was just wanting a remote with numbers so I could get to tv channels quicker than scrolling. I will look at the two you recommended. Thank you for your time and help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The Roku tv settings will not give instructions on programming your 10-year-old or more Directv remote. If the rc73 were able to accept remote codes like the older larger white Directv remote, I could help you, but the rc73 remote only uses the Directv receiver on screen menu. Get a cheap universal remote, look for One-for-all urc-7935 streamer remote or the Onn 6 universal remotes on ebay. 

Edmund

Seethroughme
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Tivoburkee. That was all I could find also, was on screen instructions using the genie box. I still have the remote that came with the tv. I was just wanting a remote with numbers so I could get to tv channels quicker than scrolling. I will look at the two you recommended. Thank you for your time and help!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The urc-7935 won't got you the number commands. But the Onn 6 universal remote will by using code 4398. 

Onn 6 universal | eBay

You can buy the 8-device version of the Onn 6 universal under the One-For-All brand on Amazon:

Amazon.com: One For All Universal 8 Device SteriTouch Antimicrobial Television IR Remote Control, Mo...

There's the Inteset 422-3 universal remote too:

Amazon.com: Inteset 4-in-1 Universal Backlit IR Learning Remote for use with Apple TV, Xbox One, Rok...

Edmund

0 Kudos