Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

How to UNPAIR a voice remote to disable Device Connect?

Jump to solution

I have a desire to disable Device Connect so that my Roku Ultra 4800 is not using or transmitting any sort of wifi. Yes, I have an IR remote that will and does work fine with the Ultra. There is a specific Advanced System Setting menu option for doing this, and it cautions about not being able to use the voice remote or screen casting, etc, which I’m fine with…

…However, trying to turn it off displays the error “Device Connect cannot be turned off when these devices are paired to your Roku player: Enhanced Voice Remote”.

Okay, so just unpair it. Only, you can’t. There is no menu option for that. You can reset the pairing on the remote (home+back+pairing) but it never removes the registration from the Roku player, even if you reboot it. So it keeps complaining that I’m not allowed to turn off Device Connect because of the remote, even if the remote is no longer connected.

I went so far as to factory reset the Roku and then try to skip pairing the Voice remote, only it INSISTS on doing that. It sits on the “pair your remote” screen and completely ignores all IR commands until the voice remote is connected.

I even went into the secret menu which has an option to “forget all remotes” but that only seems to disconnect from connected remotes, not wipe pairing information.

Anyone have any insight on how I can actually accomplish this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Re: How to UNPAIR a voice remote to disable Device Connect?

Jump to solution

No worries! Trust me, I’ve been through every diagnostic possibility on this issue.

You simply need an IR remote with the right command set to get past the pairing screen, and universals may not have that right command set (since this is really the only place where the right and wrong set makes a difference - otherwise they all work the same).

If your universal remote lists multiple options for Roku you could try those first. But a Roku original IR remote is the best way to guarantee you have those codes.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

To unpair a remote:

While using the remote in question:

From the Roku home page:

Settings > Remotes & devices > [whatever] remote (in use) > Forget remote

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

There is no “Forget” option on my device (latest firmware):

A2B9444C-9806-43E1-8E1C-C3D5DE66ECAD.jpeg

Nothing under any of these selections, including “about”, lets me unpair. The options (*) button also brings up nothing.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

And where are you located? Because all roku have forget your remote in their settings, unless you aren't in the US? 

Anyways if you did have that setting, doing it doesn't do a thing to the remote itself, one button press and your remote would be listed again. But combination of your Back, Home, and Pairing procedure to the remote first, then use the IR remote to forget the wifi remote listed in the remote settings would do it. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I’m in Canada… but why in the world would that eliminate the ability to forget a remote? Seems rather arbitrary, like if being in Australia meant you couldn’t delete a channel after adding it, or living in Spain meant voice shortcuts couldn’t work. No reason — just because. 🙂

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You should be able pull the batteries from the wifi remote, put it away or throw it out. 🙂 Then do the factory reset, it only pairs when it sniffs wifi remote in range. Without it in sight, if the pairing comes up press the back key on the IR remote, go to language, internet, and so on. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks, I’ll give that a shot later on. I could have sworn I’d left the batteries out on the last reset, but I maybe didn’t.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

To stop WiFi direct transmitting, you probably also need to turn off screen mirroring options in roku settings.  And even that might not turn off WiFi direct.

Not a Roku employee
GoldMole
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, any luck yet? I'm having the same exact issue.

I'm going to try doing a factory reset again tomorrow and see if it lets me do it without the Ethernet plugged in, in case I can get past the setup without doing an update. I had the feature disabled and randomly changed it the other day, and now it's locked in and I can't change it back.

PS I'm located in the US, that probably doesn't have to do with it!

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I haven’t had the chance to do another reset yet. Bit tired of multiple re-configurations of Netflix, Apple, Prime, Disney, YouTube…..

And the thing is, I am 99% positive the last time I did a factory reset the Voice remote was sitting there with the batteries out and back cover off, and yet it still insisted on pairing before it would go any further. Which is why I’m not that hopeful that another factory reset is going to solve my issue.