Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pilgrim22
Reel Rookie

Re: How to UNPAIR a voice remote to disable Device Connect?

Jump to solution

@UserOfStreamers 

Hello,

I have the same issue as the OP. Can you please explain your excellent solution in layman's terms? How do I locate the options for the device side and the remote side to "forget" both sides? Do I need to factory reset the Roku first? I have a Sofabaton R2 Universal remote and the Roku remote that came with the Ultra that I just purchased at Best Buy. According to your solution, I should pair both of these remotes first.

Any help you can provide is most appreciated. I am sensitive to EMF and need to be able to use the disable device connect feature. I called Roku support yesterday and was told it is not possible to unpair the Roku remote. Thank you in advance.

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The issue is, if you remove the batteries from your WiFi remote and perform a factory reset, and your universal/IR remote cannot bypass the remote pairing screen, then that is an issue with your IR remote. It has the wrong codes.

The best solution would be to purchase an original (not third party) Roku Standard remote and use that to get past the pairing screen. After that you will be able to disable Wifi and Device Connect.

Pilgrim22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you, I'll give it a try!

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No worries! Trust me, I’ve been through every diagnostic possibility on this issue.

You simply need an IR remote with the right command set to get past the pairing screen, and universals may not have that right command set (since this is really the only place where the right and wrong set makes a difference - otherwise they all work the same).

If your universal remote lists multiple options for Roku you could try those first. But a Roku original IR remote is the best way to guarantee you have those codes.

Pilgrim22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

An original Roku IR remote worked! Device Connect is now disabled. Thank you so much!

Two questions: How do I program a universal remote without reconnecting the voice remote (was I supposed to do that step before resetting the ROKU to factory settings)? Second, do I need to save the voice remote or can I sell it; I have two of them.

Sunfox
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I’m not sure what you mean by programming the universal - you can just use whatever codes it has built-in from now on, as the “important” part for the Roku original remote is to get past the pairing screen.

If your universal remote is learning, I would take the codes from the Roku IR remote as they are more useful than the voice remote in IR mode. I would also keep at least one voice remote around, as well as the Roku IR remote, should you need to do anything with them in the future.

ploppers

Jump to solution

Same issue here, and I have this issue on a roku 2, 3, & ultra.  I am now finally looking into kodi and android TV boxes, this is ridiculous that I am torturing myself just to find a way to pay these peeps!?

0 Kudos
Bubarsu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I somehow managed to set up my ROKU ultra with my universal IR remote but now I can't. I played with the settings on power and it somehow turned the wifi direct on even though I never paired the enhanced remote. Now I can't factory reset my ROKU with the universal remote again. I recall it took many attempts. Such a shame. Once you get an IR remote to activate the account, don't touch your settings ever again if you can help it.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Anonymous 

No you didn't.  That feature no longer works (removed) so I can only assume you are trying to get people to call the toll number listed in that link for scam purposes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Anonymous Not a perfect solution.  That Roku Secret Menu link is four years old.  Roku has had to update the secret menus over time, so the link is now outdated.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos