Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HoneyJones
Reel Rookie

Roku Stick set/stuck on OLD wifi network. Can't change to New wifi network b/c remote doesn't work.

I have 2 issues at the same time:

1) I have a Roku 4K Streaming Stick that is set/stuck on my Old wifi network. In order to update/change it to the current/New wifi network I need to use the Roku remote. Which brings me to the 2nd issue:

2) The Roku remote no longer works (maybe it's no longer paired?). Therefore, I cannot use it to update/change the Roku Stick to my current/New wifi network.

What do I do to fix both issues??  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
HoneyJones
Reel Rookie

How do I update/change Roku stick's internet/wifi network without a remote of any kind?

My Roku 4K Streaming Stick w/Voice Remote is stuck on my OLD internet/wifi network (upper right corner on Home screen says "Not Connected") and I can't update/change it to the NEW internet/wifi network because:

1) The physical Roku remote stopped working many months ago.

2) The Roku remote I use on my iPhone (via Roku app) is no longer working because my iPhone is on the current/NEW wifi network, which puts the Roku app on that same current/New wifi network - which means I can no longer use my iPhone as a Roku remote.

And we all know that without a remote (a physical one or a remote via the Roku app) you cannot change or update your Roku stick's internet/wifi connection.

Lastly, I researched how to change wifi network manually by using the Roku stick's IP Address. However,  the Roku stick is not going to have/show an IP Address if it's not connected to a current wifi network - my Old wifi network is no longer in existence, hence why the Roku Stick no longer has an IP Address.

PLS HELP!  How do I change my Roku stick's internet/wifi network without any kind of remote??

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How do I update/change Roku stick's internet/wifi network without a remote of any kind?

The easiest/cheapest 2 options are:

1) Buy & pair a replacement Voice Remote/Voice Remote Pro/2 for $20 & $30 respectively (available @ Walmart, Amazon.com, etc)

2) Change your "new" WiFi SSID & password to match the "old" WiFi SSID & password (requires login access to your modem/router/gateway and changing settings).

There are other possibilities/options, but they are neither as easy nor as cheap.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How do I update/change Roku stick's internet/wifi network without a remote of any kind?

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @HoneyJones!

Thank you for reaching out. We'd be more than happy to provide further information and help you change your network connection successfully.

Firstly, please note that if your wireless network settings have been updated or if your device has lost its network connection, requiring you to re-establish it, you will need your Roku physical remote.

You may check our latest offers here: Roku Accessories

I hope you find this information helpful. 

Happy Streaming! 💜

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
HoneyJones
Reel Rookie

Hello & Thank you!

I do have the Roku remote that came with my Roku 4K Streaming Stick. But like I said, it no longer works (maybe it's no longer paired?). There are 2 issues going on at the same time:

1) Roku 4K Stick device has No internet connection (b/c it's set to my Old wifi network). I now have a New wifi network. In order for me to change my Roku Stick to the New wifi network, I need a physical remote. Which brings me to issue #2:

2) Roku physical remote does not work. Therefore, I cannot use it to change Roku Stick to my current/new wifi network.

What do I do to fix both issues?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick set/stuck on OLD wifi network. Can't change to New wifi network b/c remote doesn't wo

To fix the first issue you first have to fix the second issue.  Make sure you have good fresh batteries in the remote (assuming it's not a rechargeable remote).  I like to press and hold the pairing button (or press and hold Back and Home the top of the remote) until the light on the remote starts to flash and then connect the power to the stick.  For more detailed instructions:

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

In addition, if your stick came with a USB cable with a "bump" in the cable, that's the Wi-Fi receiver.  The remote won't pair unless you use that cable and it hasn't failed.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HoneyJones
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Stick set/stuck on OLD wifi network. Can't change to New wifi network b/c remote doesn't wo

Thank you!  I tried everything you suggested, remote still will not work. I think it's because my Roku Stick is not connected to the internet (lost it's connection due to old network is was on, is no longer in existence).

I've come to my own Solution: BUY AN AMAZON FIRE STICK!!!!!!!!!!! 

I'm DONE with Roku!  This is my FOURTH Roku device (at $49.99 a pop) that this SAME problem & other issues has happened! I'M DONE!!

0 Kudos
HoneyJones
Reel Rookie

Thank you! Sadly, Nothing has worked.

I've come to my own Solution: BUY AN AMAZON FIRE STICK!!!!!!!!!!! 

I'm DONE with Roku!  This is my FOURTH Roku device (at $49.99 a pop) that this SAME problem & other issues have happened! I'M DONE!!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.