Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku 3 Remote Volume Buttons Not Working on Roku Device

Hi I've had a Roku 3 for a while, but I haven't been able to control the Volume on the device. The remote is a Roku remote called a RC03, and it shows up as a Gaming Remote and nothing else even though I tried re-installing it. All the other buttons work, just not this one. Please advise, thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3 Remote Volume Buttons Not Working on Roku Device

Edited to add:

The reply below applies to most Wifi direct remotes from Roku, including the Voice Remotes. The RC03 Game Remote supplied with the Roku 3 is a Wifi direct remote, however it has no IR emitter so cannot send IR commands to the TV.  See the ensuing post by @Tivoburkee.

_____

The power, volume, and mute buttons on WiFi-Direct Roku remotes send the appropriate signals to your TV via line of sight infrared (IR) signals. Different TVs have different sets of IR codes they accept, so you have to set up the remote to send the correct code set for YOUR TV.

Roku menu path:
"Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes"
[At this point if your remote has already been setup for the TV but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your Remote (in use).]
Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

Hi, 

Thanks for the advice but the Roku 3 is not a TV, its a streaming device. So I'm not trying to send anything to a TV. 

The light on the Roku 3 is flashing when I hit the volume buttons, but nothing happens to the Roku 3 device. 

0 Kudos
renojim

@robertgknight, @makaiguy knows exactly what a Roku 3 is.  You missed the point.  Roku remotes either control the volume of TVs by sending IR (infrared) signals directly to the TV or via CEC.  Either way, the remote has to be set up to control the TV.  The Roku device itself doesn't have any way to control its volume; it's strictly the TV that controls the volume.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

The Roku remote RC03 has no TV IR on board, originally the volume keys were strictly to control the volume of the headphones connected to headphone jack on the remote. Later an upgrade allowed the volume keys to control certain Tv brands via CEC, its wifi from the remote to Roku itself, which in turn sends CEC signal over the hdmi cable to the tv connected to it. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

@Tivoburkee-

Thanks for the clarification, Edmond.  It's been several years since I passed my Roku 3 on to a friend, so I've forgotten some details.

So I guess this means you don't program the Game Remote for the right set of control commands for the TV, but the TV must support CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) volume control, and have the CEC feature enabled.

@robertgknight-

Unfortunately many tv manufacturers call the CEC feature by their own proprietary names.

Some common ones:
• AOC: E-link
• Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
• LG: SimpLink or SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
• Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI, Realink for HDMI
• Panasonic: VIERA Link, HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync
• Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
• Philips: EasyLink
• Pioneer: Kuro Link
• Runco International: RuncoLink
• Samsung: Anynet+
• Sharp: Aquos Link
• Sony: BRAVIA Link, BRAVIA Sync, Control for HDMI
• Toshiba: CE-Link, Regza Link

Some other names shared by multiple manufacturers:
• Fun-Link, INlink, T-Link

On some TV's you may need to have the TV do a scan or search for connected CEC devices.

And finally, CEC specifies a number of controls that may be implemented, and even if a TV does support CEC it may not support all of them.  My main living room set, for instance, is a 10+ year old Samsung that does not accept volume control over CEC.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.