Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

Re: How can my volume control stop working AGAIN?

Jump to solution

@RokuEuniceL Did you receive my private message?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Rumblekat50,

We appreciate you reaching out to us privately!

Kindly check your inbox and reply to the message we sent.

Have a good day.

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dave-48
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ERey I can’t say exactly when they started having problems.purchased 8/2021 and 3/2023.

The third remote had problems from the day I got it 03/2023
The first two remotes I purchased in 8/2021 but I threw one away sometime in 2022 because the volume would not work.

since my first reply I have left the remote on the charger overnight. Almost a full 24 hours. I then rebooted the Roku Ultra and unplugged the remote from the charger.

the volume is now working as expected. This has helped in the past and it will now work for days to weeks. But eventually it will act up again as it has always done.

im not expecting anything from these posts, I’m just trying to add to the original posters (Bamamimi3) problems. With the community maybe we can get you enough detail to actually find the problem.

I’m hoping Roku will eventually provide a firmware update.

Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Interesting. If I don't keep my charger plugged while using the remote, the volume doesn't work most of the time.  Also, some of the arrow keys don't work either.  But, with the charger plugged in (which is a pain), it seems to work.  While it's plugged in, I will see it say it's either 99% or 100% charged.  Still, I have a feeling something isn't right in the power circuit of the remote.  Maybe the rechargeable battery?

0 Kudos
Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Another update here on my remote situation. I received a replacement remote sometime in November. In about 4 weeks, the new remote started doing the same basic thing as the previous one.  Arrow keys would go crazy and work too much or not enough.  The volume was not as big a problem this time, although it did wind up failing eventually.  So, I contacted Roku again, and they sent another replacement.  This time I requested and received the old battery style remote control.  I've had it for about 3 weeks or so now.  No USB charger on this one.  So, far, it seems to be doing well.  At least at this time I'm pleased with it.  We shall see how it holds up.  But, I would stay away from the rechargeable remotes at this time.  I don't know if it was one big batch of them that had problems or all of them.  But, there is definitely something wrong with them.

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Having a problem with my Roku voice remote that came with my Streaming Stick 4K device. All buttons on the remote work except the volume and mute buttons went dead. No matter how many times I pressed them nothing happened.

This happened after pressing MUTE to silence annoying commercials. Ten seconds later when the ads were over I pressed the MUTE button again but nothing happened. Volume UP/ Volume DOWN would not work either to unmute the TV. Finally I opened the battery compartment and removed one of the batteries and put it right back in, as soon as I did that I got a pop up notification in the upper right corner of my screen showing my battery level, which is very good, then all buttons worked again.

I think I read someone else having this issue before but couldn't find the topic. Is there a fix for this yet? The volume and mute buttons should not suddenly stop working for no reason while all other buttons on the remote still work fine, especially when my batteries are in the 80% range.

Bear58

Jump to solution

It's a scam with Roku. The unit itself will last years, hence they won't get repeat business on the entire unit for years. They make cheap remote controls (on the newer models) in order to continue the cash flow. I have 2 units. One I purchased 5+ years ago and the unit and remote works perfectly. The newer unit I purchased (2 years ago)  works ok but I'm on the 3rd remote. Bad luck? Absolutely not. Cheap quality remote to Guarantee further sales? Yes indeed. Roku you suck!

Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Rumblekat50 

You are right, there is definitely something wrong with the Roku Voice Remote Pro remotes. I never get a full charge on my battery unless it's plugged in, only then does it ever show 100%. As soon as I unplug the charger it drops down to 96% or lower and shortly thereafter it will be closer to 91%. It will not give a full charge and it will not even stay in the high 90% range.

I think the rechargeable batteries built into these remotes are a cheap design and are definitely flawed. I agree with what you said, stay away from them and stick with the normal remotes that you put batteries into.

I was having a problem with my Roku remote that came with my Roku Streaming Stick 4K and it was the version that you have to put batteries in. Roku sent me a replacement for it but sent a rechargeable remote which I didn't request and I wish they had sent the normal battery one. This rechargeable remote is junk and I've unpaired it and I'm done with it.

0 Kudos
Rumblekat50
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The last time I talked with someone at Roku, I requested a battery operated remote control.  They actually sent it.  I've had it now somewhere around 6 weeks.  So far, all is well.  My last battery operated remote lasted around 3 years.  That's not as long as it should, but it's FAR BETTER than the rechargeable units!  So, at the present time I am pleased with it.   I don't know how long the remote nor the Roku will last, but I certainly hope they get this situation corrected before I'm forced to buy a new one.

0 Kudos
Qbanchk

Jump to solution

I went to settings- remotes & devices - remotes - voice remotes - set up remote for TV control - IR setup

it works now! I hope this helps anyone scrolling by. Took about 45 seconds after spending days on the internet trying to figure it out! 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.