Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baka2k23
Channel Surfer

Headphones only working on one side

I tried plugging my headphones into my remote for and noticed audio is only coming out from one earphone and not both. Any reason for this and any solution? The headphones work on other devices (ie: Laptop and Samsung phone) on both sides without issues.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Headphones only working on one side

Hi @baka2k23,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are facing an issue using the Roku remote for private listening. We would like to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

We recommend performing the below steps and see if you can resolve the issue:

1. Unplug the power from your Roku device.
  2. Restart your router* by unplugging the power cable from the router, waiting 10 seconds, and reconnecting. If possible, check the instructions from your ISP or router vendor as restarting may require that you press a reset button on the device. This will momentarily disconnect your Roku device and your mobile device from the network. Wait a few minutes while your router re-establishes the internet connection.
  3. Reconnect the power cable to your Roku device.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve an issue with private listening | Official Roku Support

Thanks again for posting and we hope the suggestions above get everything sorted out.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Are you sure you've pushed the earphone plug all the way in to be sure it makes both channel connections?

Of course if the headphones work elsewhere it could be that the headphone jack in the remote is faulty.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
baka2k23
Channel Surfer

The headphones are pushed all the way in and are working on my smartphone and laptop. The device is under warranty so I may try to ask for a replacement remote via warranty. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
dfconn

I have the same issue with the headphone jack on the controller not working properly. If I pull the headphone connector out slightly, I can hear the left side audio - pushing the jack all the way in gives only the right side audio - this is definitely a batch of poorly manufactured controllers. and as I've waitined quite a while to try a headphone with the controller, it's now out of warranty...thanks ROKU!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dfconn,

Greetings and appreciation for reaching out to us on the Roku Community!

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with this remote issue when using private listening.

First, could you tell me how long the problem has been there and when you first noticed it? 

Furthermore, if you go to Settings>>System>>About, you can get the serial number of the device that is paired. Would you please share this with us as well? I'd like to take a closer look.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dogshark
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same exact problem with the remote I bought. Incredibly frustrating since the only reason I bought the remote was so I could use my wired headphones with it. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We're grateful to have you here in the Roku Community, @Dogshark!

Thank you for sharing your concern about utilizing the Headphones Mode (private listening) on your physical Roku remote. We'd be happy to suggest some troubleshooting steps.

Have you tried the steps suggested by @RokuMary-F above? If not, kindly let us know if those steps make any difference. We also recommend using a different set of headphones.

Please keep us posted on how it goes so we can continue assisting you from there!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dogshark
Reel Rookie

I have tried all the suggestions, and both pairs of headphones work just fine when connected to something else. If you hold the chord slightly out of the headphone jack on the Roku remote both sides work otherwise it's only one side. I have made and tested circuits before for my job. It seems like the problem might be there's not enough areas conducting, or there's a break somewhere in the conducting material that's inside the roku remote headphone jack. It could be a in a weaker area if it bends at all inside the remote.  It worked just fine when I first bought the remote, it's like the connection wore out with occasional use which is very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the added information, @Dogshark.

In this case, please provide me with additional details such as follows:

• What Roku device have you paired this remote with?
  • Is this the remote that came with this device? If not, where and when did you purchase this?

I'll be looking forward to your update.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.