Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CTomich
Reel Rookie

Got a used Roku, Remote Recognized as Wrong Model, Buttons are Wonky

I picked up a 4640x Roku from a thrift shop. The remote it has is a RC-GR4. The Remotes and Devices section seems to think it's a RC-100. The direction and select buttons work fine, but the volume and back buttons don't change the volume or send me back, and the * button turns off the tv. I assume these facts are related, but I don't know what to do about it.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Got a used Roku, Remote Recognized as Wrong Model, Buttons are Wonky

Hi! @CTomich,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community!

Some Roku remotes incorporate both wireless and infrared (IR) technologies letting you seamlessly control your Roku streaming device along with aspects of your TV. You can set up the TV controls during the initial setup and activation of your Roku device, or you can wait and do it at any time from:

1. Navigate to Settings
  2. Select Remotes & devices
  3. Select Remotes followed by your remote
  4. Select Set up remote for TV control the Settings menu.

For more information about setting up your remote, visit the detailed article about setting up your remote to control your TV

Please feel free to let us know if you need any additional assistance!
Best regards,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CTomich
Reel Rookie

Setting up the remote causes it to be recognized as an RC-100, which it isn't. It's an RC-GR4. I don't know if this is why the buttons are performing incorrect functions, but it seems like a logical possibility.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@CTomich 

You remote doesn't have tv IR on-board, so you can't program the volume keys through the remote menu. The volume keys on your remote are mainly for the headphone jack volume. But later there was update that allowed the volume keys to control certain tv brands volume via cec. It works or doesn't. If your tv can refresh cec devices connected to it, try it. Or unplug the tv for a bit, then plug it back in, wait awhile and try the volume keys. 

But for anything to work you still have to pair the remote to Roku device:

settings> remote & devices> add devices> remote> follow prompts. 

If the remote isn't paired via wifi to the Roku, the model can't be recognized correctly. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos